Why Don't The Spanx Roll Down?

kitty9

OK, after watching an entire show on QVC and Spanx, I just have to wonder, how do those things stay in place? For someone who's not small, the one garment that controls the thighs and area below the chest, doesn't that raised waistline just roll down to the natural waist? I hope I'm stating this right so everyone understands. It's the garment that doesn't have the attached bra but has a very high waist that's supposed to smooth just under the bra. I just think that whenever you sit down that raised waist will just tuck and roll right down to your natural waistline. Hello jelly rolls.

Also, the ones that look like tight slips. How do you keep the skirt area from riding up over your behind? I just don't see how those Spanx things work, or stay in place.

but Spanx do/does? not roll down. I have had pantyhose slowly crawl down my body, but Spanx stays put. It could be the way the lycra is woven. I haven't tried anything other than the high waist and thigh shaper, so can't speak for the all-in-one. The first time you put them on you are sure you will never fit whatever size it is you bought, but keep tugging and pulling and eventually you will succeed. And after that, it is easy - well, not if it's really humid b/c you will sweat as fast as you pull them on:eek:

Hello jelly rolls.

Also, the ones that look like tight slips. How do you keep the skirt area from riding up over your behind? I just don't see how those Spanx things work, or stay in place.

Yep...I know exactly what you mean. I'm on the thin side now, so I generally don't wear those things, but before I lost weight, I tried them on, and no way. I tried every size - they all rolled. And my legs looked like sausages tied in the middle. I have one pair of briefs that I wear now, for a smooth look with a particularly close fitting dress. They are made by Flexees (I think that is the name) and they fit marvelously, but I had to try on so many styles before I found the one that worked for me. I cannot stand lines bumps and bulges!!:(

Hello jelly rolls.

Yep...I know exactly what you mean. I'm on the thin side now, so I generally don't wear those things, but before I lost weight, I tried them on, and no way. I tried every size - they all rolled. And my legs looked like sausages tied in the middle. I have one pair of briefs that I wear now, for a smooth look with a particularly close fitting dress. They are made by Flexees (I think that is the name) and they fit marvelously, but I had to try on so many styles before I found the one that worked for me. I cannot stand lines bumps and bulges!!:(

I have the exact type of Spanx that you're talking about. They DO roll down and are very uncomfortable when they do. Now maybe it depends on your size...if you're thin, perhaps they stay in place.

I wore them ONE time and that did it for me....I threw them out. The entire time I was sitting at dinner, they were killing me. Also, around the legs...if you are wearing silky type pants, you can see the edge of the spanx...not very attractive. Again, if you have no flabbiness, this might not be a problem. But if you have no flabbiness, I don't know why you would want to them them !

I really like QVC, but one thing I have learned is you can not really believe half of the claims they make on some products and spanx is one of them.

Luckily, they have wonderful customer service and returns if you are not satisfied.

The first pair I bought fit me terribly. I decided to try them one more time and go up a size and they have worked out great for me. I think it must be body type, because I've read here where some women buy a size smaller than they think they need, I needed the next size up.

I don't care for anything binding, either, maybe that is why the larger size worked for me. It's just a bit of hold and smoothing, I wouldn't expect these garments to fit like a girdle.

I hate the roll down! Now, I'm not sure which types they were selling on QVC, but there is a shaper on the spanx website that I want to try. The top pulls all the way up to your bra and has loops that connect it to your bra. I think this sounds like a great idea because you don't have the dreaded roll down and you can wear whatever bra you want. Has anyone tried it???

Also, around the legs...if you are wearing silky type pants, you can see the edge of the spanx...not very attractive. Again, if you have no flabbiness, this might not be a problem.

I work for Lane Bryant, who is an official Spanx distributor. When we started carrying them we had one of their professionals come out and teach us about them. They told us that they cannot guarantee that the thigh end of the power panty will not create an indent. They told us that if that is a concern for the customer they should go with the footless instead of the Power Panties. The footless has the control portion that goes as far down the thigh as the power panty, but beyond that it is just normal panty hose material down to the calf, the bottom is not as constricting and if you are wearing something shorter than midcalf you can roll them up with no problem and no creating indents.

I have the footless myself and love them, I haven't had them roll down at all and I've never seen a line at the thigh when wearing them with pants of all materials (and I'm a size 20/22 with big thighs).

I've been wondering about the Spanx high-waist shaper as well. I did order one pair of the Spanx footless hose on Ebay and really like it. I found like many others did that the waistband seemed to stretch out fairly quickly, so while the hip size is still correct the waist is now too big and creeps down towards my hips. I think I'll try the next smaller size next time and see if that alieviates the problem with that.

I personally prefer the L'eggs brand of shapers, "Body Beautiful Smoothers". I mostly wear the long leg capri style, but they also come in the biker shorts style and the waist cincher style. The only drawback is that they are a bit heavy, more like wearing tights. In the winter they're great but in the summer can be too hot. I used to be able to find these at Wal-Mart and Target, but I haven't seen them lately so maybe they're being discontinued --?? Hope not, they're only about $6 a pair and last forever, just throw them in the washer. I've had a couple of the long leg capris for at least two years.

Guest suzeycruisey

Unfortunately on me they did roll down and at a most unfortunate time...this was a few years ago and I had just gotten engaged, and DH (then FI) and I were on a cruise with both sets of parents (which was difficult enough in and of itself...but that's a separate story ;) ). We were in the dining room having dinner on the first night, and I was wearing a cute pair of pants and top...the pants were kind of form-fitting so I decided to wear my brand-new, never-worn-before Spanx (high waist style) underneath for some smoothing... WELL, as soon as I sat down...I began to feel the dreaded roll down from the top, and unfortunately, as they were rolling down, they rolled OVER TOP of the waist of my pants and together, the Spanx and the waist of my pants rolled all the way down to my....well, in the interest of keeping this post clean I will just say they rolled down as far as they could possibly go... :eek:

I tried (in vain) the entire dinner to get them separated, but to no avail. They were really tangled up together. The worst part is my shirt was not long enough to cover, and I was forced to stand up at the end of dinner and try to cover with my very small purse, and run out of there as quickly as possible.

Suffice it to say, as soon as I got back to my cabin, the Spanx came off and went immediately into the trash. My face still flushes when I think about it... :o

I will be leaving on our first cruise in Septamber and have been considering buying some type of shaper. I have gained a few (read about 20) pounds in the last few years and really need some tummy control. I bought a shaper in the past the ones like bike shorts that come down to mid-thigh. My problem is when I walk (or move or breathe) the sound coming from the fabric rubbing together on my thighs is deafening. Any thoughts about this?

I bought a high waisted shaper that goes almost down to my knees at a Hanes outlet. It rolls down just a little, so I only pull it up to my ribs. It's been the best thing I could find for smoothing and support, and my clothes do fit better when I am wearing it. It cost about $6 or $7.

I have three of these (not the lite version) and absolutely love them. http://www.barenecessities.com/The-Body-Wrap-Body-Wrap-Lites-Bra-Slip-with-Underwire_product_TheBodyWrap47200_,search,.htm One piece, really holds you in, and very smooth lines. No ride up anywhere. They are just too tight (not uncomfortable tight) and not enough material to roll anyplace. They come down to mid thigh or below. The only problem I have ever had was the bra getting kind of "scrunchy" and rolling down slightly. But I guess I could just put the straps on them-too lazy to find the straps. Body Wrap has discontinued the "hold it all in version". Don't know what I will do when these wear out, but I swear by them under formal wear. This may be an alternative-definitely no roll up with this.

http://www.barenecessities.com/The-Body-Wrap-Underwire-Long-Leg-Bodysuit_product_TheBodyWrap44300_,search,.htm

I Think The Key To It Is Getting The Right Fit. They Are Ment To Be Very Tight And I Admit They Are A Bit Difficult To Get On But Once You Have Accomplished This You Are Set!!! I Have Some And They Are Great And They Do Not Roll Down!!

After reading many threads on Spanx, I broke down and bought a pair of the "Power Panties" to wear under a dress I purchased for a friend's wedding reception. They extend down to mid-thigh and stop at the waist. I was amazed at the difference they made. I hate to wear cocktail dresses or sundresses and have that belly flab sticking out. The Spanx smoothed it out, didn't roll even through several hours of dancing, and weren't terribly uncomfortable. They are totally worth the money!

Archived