RCCL questions

alleauna

Researching RCCL and would enjoy hearing your opinion on food quality please. I'm so disappointed that I can't find any menus at all online. I'd love to know what is offered in the dining rooms, pizza place, room service, etc...and especially how much the coffee shops, ice cream shop, burger joint, etc. cost and what they offer. I've checked CruiseClues over and over, don't know if I'm just not seeing the menus there or what! Also, what drinks are served free of charge at mealtimes and throughout the day? I really appreciate your help! Thanks so much!

We found food quality to be far superior to what we'd expect from the $11.75 per person per day of the cruise fare which is allocated for food. I tried to take photos of some of the menus, because I know this question comes up often, but none of them came out. The cuisine in the main dining room was quite eclectic, including standards such as steak, Caesar salad, etc., and some more thematic choices such as a curry vegetable strudel, seafood ravioli, etc. Room service serves food from the main dining room (but not all the choices are always available via room service). Coffee, decaf, iced tea and lemonade were typically available without extra charge. Specialty coffee was almost $4 for a small latte on Majesty, and almost $3 for a large latte on Serenade. (Go figure.) The fast food at the Seaview Cafe on Serenade was especially good, for what it was.

Thank you for your reply. :) I continued to dig yesterday and did end up finding some menus of various RRCL ships, just not SOS yet. I'm sure the room service menu, as well as other menus, are very similar. Reading them aloud to my children, it had us all salivating yesterday! haha I heard someone once say, in a complaining tone, "The quality of the food aboard cruise ships tends to be more along the line of Olive Garden, Lone Star, etc." Well, if that's the quality, then we must be very easy to please! ;) I have a specific question about the menu I found of Johnny Rockets yesterday. I need to pull it back up and post it seperately. Hope some of you can help to answer it as well. Thanks again!

:) Shauna from Asheville NC

Well, not the SOS, but on our Jewel cruise 2/6 - 2/13, we had the menu listed below. This was for the dining room. The WJ was an eclectic buffet that included food from the quality of cheap cafeterias (like cheap pizza and bad burgers) to some Gucci buffets (like some of the specialty entrees or sides on the hot bar). Seaview Cafe makes great fish & chips, onion rings, above average burgers, some nice specialty salads and other fast food style food (but much better quality than standard fast food).

Menus: A lot of people have been asking about the menus and choosing. At the end of the week, our waiter knew that I wanted copies of the menus (I had asked to see them so that I could take digital photos of them, but he found me copies of all but Sunday). Personally I think there are great meals every night and I had two or three appetizers per night and twice had two entrees. Several others in our group had two entrees every night and we all had a great time and loved the DR meals, so I would pick it based on day rather than on menu, but here goes:

[ Note: those with * marked after them are ones that either I had and loved or someone in our group had and raved about ]

Daily Alternatives (offered at every meal):

Tagliatelle with Marinara Sauce, Broiled Fillet of Atlantic Cod, Grilled Chicken Breast with Rosemary, Grilled Steak with Herb Butter, Baked potato, mashed potatoes, rich and vegetable of the day

Sunday – Ft Lauderdale (Casual)

We were tired that night and had a nice quick dinner at the Windjammer instead of going to the DR. Didn’t get a copy at the end of the week as the waiter couldn’t find one quickly and he still had work to do that evening.

Monday – Key West (Formal – Captain’s Cocktail Reception)

Appetizers: Grilled Marinated Vegetables, Shrimp Cocktail, Escargots, Lobster

Bisque *, Oxtail Broth *, Chilled Golden Pear Nectar

Salad: Traditional Caesar Salad

Entrees: Tagliatelle, Teriyaki Glazed Salmon, Duck a L’Orange *, Beef Tenderloin, Vegetable Strudel

Tuesday – Cozumel (Smart Casual)

Appetizers: Caprese Salad, Antipasti, Scallop Risotto, Roasted Garlic Soup *, Minestrone, Chilled Strawberry Bisque

Salad: Insalata

Entrees: Rigatoni Pasta, Shrimp Scampi Imperiali *, Chicken Marsala, Lamb Roast *, Eggplant “Melanzane Ripiene”

Wednesday – Costa Maya (Casual)

Appetizers: Tropical Fruit, Seafood Salad *, Spinach Dip *, Shee Crab and Shrimp Bisque *, Ocho Rios Pepperpot Soup, Banarama Soup

Salad: Cedar Key Salad

Entrees: Seafood Penne Pasta, Blackened Tilapia, Jerk Chicken, Veal Parmigiana, Bami Goreng *

Thursday – Grand Cayman (Formal – Lobster Night!)

Appetizers: Sun-Ripened Pineapple Delight, Citrus Cured Salmon, Creamed Wild Mushrooms *, Cream of Asparagus, Onion Soup *, Chilled Roasted Peach Soup

Salad: House Salad

Entrees: Ziti Santa Fe, Lobster and Shrimp Combination *, Rotisserie Chicken, Slow Roasted Aged Prime Rib of Beef *, Grilled Vegetable Stack

Friday – Day at Sea (casual)

Appetizers: Fruit Medley, Shrimp Cocktail, Vegetable Spring Roll, French Lentil and Onion Soup, Chicken Soup Americana *, Chilled Cucumber Soup

Salad: Ensalada del Chef

Entrees: Linguine ala Vongole, Sweet and Sour Mahi Mahi, Roasted Tom Turkey *, NY Strip Steak (the only weak option all week due to being served the day after the wonderful Prime Rib), Indian Vegetable Curry *

I heard someone once say, in a complaining tone, "The quality of the food aboard cruise ships tends to be more along the line of Olive Garden, Lone Star, etc." Well, if that's the quality, then we must be very easy to please!
Having reasonable expectations, given how much you're paying for things, with a clear recognition of how much things cost these days, really helps ensure your satisfaction, of course. I wouldn't sell yourself short, though, or the ship's kitchen. It is very high quality food for as little as we're paying for it.

we were on AOS in oct. we thought the food overall was very good. Some items were excellent, some just ok. You will not starve.......Johnny ROckets was decent.....the fries & onion rings were great, the burger was kind of bad.

Pizza in the various places was edible but not the best i ever ate. I am a pizza snob.;..we have some GREAT pies here in NJ so I am very picky.

The food in the buffet was at least as good as the local old country buffet if you have one in your area. Some could have been hotter.

We tried different things...the onion tart, veg struedel, chix philadelphia and turkey were great. I had shrimp that were very tasty. The steaks & filets were good.

As for charges for coffee etc, we didn't buy any. I guess 3-4 bucks.. Ben & Jerrys was i think 4 bucks for a scoop but B&J's is a million bucks ANYWAY!! The soft serve that is free is frozen yogurt....i thought it was ok..had some almost daily.

Remember, try new things....if you don't like something, you can order something else.......we never sent anything back though.

Archived