Nordic Empress - Hurricane Andrew Cruise

Hey folks, I was just wondering if anyone else was on the Nordic Empress back in the early 90's during Hurricane Andrew? What an adventure it was!!! It was my first cruise ever (I was in high school) and I think it will be my most memorable. Just seeking others who may have thoughts or experiences from that week!!

If anyone has any questions, fire away!

CruiseGuy76

I believe 2001, W Carib aboard Grand Princess. OH WHAT A RIDE as stuff flew off shelves, even the bed through us on the floor as it went sideways. Announcements no to go on balconies & all deck doors were locked. Just to walk was no fun & then an announcement for everyone to meet in the hallway since they were afraid balcony glass doors would explode. So we sat in the stairwell with plenty of other folks telling jokes, singing crazy songs of the 70's. Then we hit the atrium in front of the Pursers Office on the sofas. I swear we were sideways a few times as books in thelibrary fell off shelves, even the people to be at the desk were in the back room.

That sold me on Bonine!

Hey folks, I was just wondering if anyone else was on the Nordic Empress back in the early 90's during Hurricane Andrew? What an adventure it was!!! It was my first cruise ever (I was in high school) and I think it will be my most memorable. Just seeking others who may have thoughts or experiences from that week!!

If anyone has any questions, fire away!

CruiseGuy76

Very similar.

First cruise for us we got stuck in Hurricane Hugo in "89" on a ship 1/3 the size of the Empress..

I will never forget it. :eek: Actually, neither will my stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on that cruise. I remember us fleeing the storm by circling Cuba. We must have gotten too close, because a Cuba Navy ship came out and followed us. I remember leaving early from Nassau, and arriving into a very dark Miami and spending the night on the ship, because of the curfew.

Not on that cruise, but was on the Nordic Empress for its inaugeral (sp?) season! Let's see was that 16 years ago? I think my son was 2 years old at the time, and he's 18 now. That was my last and only RCCL cruise - time again... and going on the Monarch of the Seas.

Archived