Oyster, Travelcard, London Pass options

MavisMarie

I have been researching the various travel options for London and thought it might save someone else the time if I posted the information I’ve gathered. It is difficult to decide which card to buy since there are so many options: Oyster Card, London Visitor Travelcard, London Pass. The London Pass is much more expensive but it does get you free entry into many sights. I did not do much research on the London Pass because a 1 day pass costs around £38, which is a deal-breaker for me, even with the free entry to attractions.

London Visitor Travelcard is a card purchased outside of the UK ahead of time. It is the same thing as the London Travelcard you would purchase once you got to London. You can purchase it at any underground station. The card is good for unlimited travel on the Tube/Bus during the day of validity.

London (Visitor’s)Travelcard – Base price is $10.50. Click on the box “validity” to see prices for 1 day, 3 day, 7 day cards for zones 1-2 and zones 1-6. All of central London is included in zones 1-2. The only reason why you’d need zones 1-6 is if you’re going out to Hampton Court, which is in zone 6 or if you need to go to Heathrow, also zone 6.

If you have the London Travelcard, you are eligible to receive 2 for 1 discounts at many of London’s attractions, i.e., Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Hampton Court, etc. I will provide a link below where you can register and print out the necessary coupons ahead of time. NOTE: This option is NOT available if you choose to purchase the Oyster Card.

The Oyster Card can be bought ahead of time or once you’re in London. There is a base price for the card and you add value to the card as needed. This card puts a daily cap of around £6.30 for unlimited travel on tube/trams/bus. Read all about it at the link I am providing below. The 2 for 1 discounts are not available with the Oyster Card. You can turn in the card when you are leaving London to reclaim the unspent amount left on the card.

The link I’ve chosen to give you is from Visit Britain Direct because they are a part of the National Tourism Agency and not an independent source that charges higher rates. To read about Travelcard and Oyster Card, with the option to purchase ahead of time, go here: http://www.visitbritaindirect.com/en-US/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=44&ovchn=GGL&ovcpn=US+London+Transport&ovcrn=london+travelcard&ovtac=PPC

Here is the link where you will read about and print out the 2 for 1 coupons you are interested in using, should you choose to get the London Travelcard. Once you get to the link, look for the 2 for 1 London Attractions and click on Landmarks and Historical. You will have to register at the site before you can print out the coupons. Go here: http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/

Link to read about The London Pass: http://www.londonpass.com/?aid=155&WT.mc_id=155&WT.mc_ev=click

I'm happy you've found the info to be helpful. It does get confusing. :)

The government is really pushing the Oyster Card, but that is not always the best bet for tourists -- expecially when you factor in the 2 for 1 offers included with the Travelcard.

I'm happy you've found the info to be helpful. It does get confusing. :)

The government is really pushing the Oyster Card, but that is not always the best bet for tourists -- expecially when you factor in the 2 for 1 offers included with the Travelcard.

Question - we're leaving Washington, D.C. on the day flight to London on July 25th. We'll have July 26th and 27th in London - then take the train to Dover on the 28th to catch our ship. Post cruise, on August 9th, we're back to London from Dover and fly home from Heathrow on August 11th -

which London Pass do you think would be best for us? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Question - we're leaving Washington, D.C. on the day flight to London on July 25th. We'll have July 26th and 27th in London - then take the train to Dover on the 28th to catch our ship. Post cruise, on August 9th, we're back to London from Dover and fly home from Heathrow on August 11th -

which London Pass do you think would be best for us? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Can anyone help me with this? We're planning to only be in London.

IF you'll be doing a lot of sightseeing and need entrance to places like Westminster Abbey and Tower of London, I'd get the London Travelcard because of the 2 for 1 offers. I'd buy the card one day at a time because you'll be wasting money if you bought a 3-day card. On the return, IF you've already done the majority of your sightseeing, you might do better with the Oyster Card.

One thing you MUST do upon your return to London is tour Buckingham Palace. It is only open 2 months each summer. This year, it will be open July 31-Sept 29. I advise you to purchase your ticket in advance. Go here: http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=30

You are a blessing. We're taking your suggestion on the London Travelcard and have already booked the tour of Buckingham Palace. Without you help, we wouldn't even have known about it. Many thanks -

we greatly appreciated it.

You are a blessing. We're taking your suggestion on the London Travelcard and have already booked the tour of Buckingham Palace. Without you help, we wouldn't even have known about it. Many thanks -

we greatly appreciated it.

Buckingham Palace tour was a highlight for us the year we were there at the right time!

Don't forget to go here http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/ to print out your 2 for 1 coupons. Many of the major sights are included, but Buckingham is not. My initial post gives directions once you are at the above link.

Have a great time in London. :)

What would you think of doing the original bus tour ( Hop on Hop off) the first day, and the second day getting the one day travel card?

Would that make sense?

Makes a lot of sense. I think the HOHO is very nice for first time visitors to any new city.

Check out the list of 2 for 1 places with the travelcard and plan your Day 1 to stop along the way and visit the places NOT on the list. Day 2, you can visit Tower of London, Westminster Abbey (don't miss this) and other spots with coupons that interest you.

Makes a lot of sense. I think the HOHO is very nice for first time visitors to any new city.

Check out the list of 2 for 1 places with the travelcard and plan your Day 1 to stop along the way and visit the places NOT on the list. Day 2, you can visit Tower of London, Westminster Abbey (don't miss this) and other spots with coupons that interest you.

I second the not miss to Westminster Abbey. Also, don't miss the Tower of London one of my favorite places to visit in London, besides Harrod's.

Thank you for responding! Hope you don't mind another question...

I noticed on the 2 for 1 site , the original tour on the HOHO bus is listed.

Does that mean I would be buying the travelcard on both days and using the dicount to buy the HOHO bus ticket, or should we just use the HOHO bus on day 1 and do the river cruise as part of that. Then on Day 2 , take the travelcard and use the public transport to get us to the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. Also Harrods, and how much else could we fit into day 2? ( mid- July).

Again, thank you so much.

sorry if I seem to be dense, but can anyone please explain to me how daysoutguide works? Do I have to pay for something on the internet? Please advise as I don´t find info on how to work it.

Thanks

You don't have to pay for anything. You do have to register with your name, address, phone number. This information is printed on your coupon.

Go to the site. Mid-page you will see the words 2for1 London Attractions and much more Below that you'll see option to read FAQ's. This might help you.

Click on Landmarks and Historical.

Next page: You'll see the "Filter by County" box. Click on London. Click the word Filter.

Choose the places you'd like to get a coupon for. Click on Claim Your Offer. If you've already registered, the coupon will come up and you'll need to print it off. It will have your name and address on it and the date you want to use it.

Once

Thank you for responding! Hope you don't mind another question...

I noticed on the 2 for 1 site , the original tour on the HOHO bus is listed.

Does that mean I would be buying the travelcard on both days and using the dicount to buy the HOHO bus ticket, or should we just use the HOHO bus on day 1 and do the river cruise as part of that. Then on Day 2 , take the travelcard and use the public transport to get us to the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. Also Harrods, and how much else could we fit into day 2? ( mid- July).

Again, thank you so much.

The coupon for HOHO isn't 2 for 1. It's just a few pounds off, I think.

Don't waste money getting the Travelcard unless you want to be out on your own using public transportation.

Archived