Drop off luggage early on embark. day in Dover?

Hi,

Does anyone know the earliest time we could drop off our luggage at the Port of Dover (Ocean Princess)? Our taxi service said they could make a stop at the cruise terminal so we can drop off our luggage before taking us to Dover Castle.

I called Princess and the rep was not very helpful. I searched this forum and someone else was going to do this a few years ago but I don't know what the outcome was.

Thanks

• 8 months later...

We did this about 10 years ago on Celebrity. We sent an email ahead of our cruise to get the earliest drop off time. We took the train from London Victoria Station and a taxi from the train stop. They told us 10:00 and had us wait in the office while they x-rayed our bags. (Remember to keep a backpack with you for passports and paperwork and valuables).

It is a hike from the ship to the cliffs. It looks closer than it is. I suggest a taxi since you will be spending several hours walking around. When we went there was a guided tour of the WWII facilities.

Hi,

I very much doubt that you can leave your luggage and then go off on an excursion, I think due to security reasons once you have dropped your luggage off you would then have to check in.

If someone knows different I would like to know.

Pete

Hi,

I very much doubt that you can leave your luggage and then go off on an excursion, I think due to security reasons once you have dropped your luggage off you would then have to check in.

If someone knows different I would like to know.

Pete

Like I said, we did this in Dover and in Venice. In Dover they had us come into the office and they x-rayed the luggage. The only thing I remember about Venice is the dropoff was far from the ship.

It can't hurt to email and ask.

They don't monitor that you go right to check in once you give your luggage. They make sure that you have a cabin and they x-ray the luggage. They don't accept random luggage. In some ports you drop off your luggage and then park.

Like I said, we did this in Dover and in Venice. In Dover they had us come into the office and they x-rayed the luggage. The only thing I remember about Venice is the dropoff was far from the ship.

It can't hurt to email and ask.

They don't monitor that you go right to check in once you give your luggage. They make sure that you have a cabin and they x-ray the luggage. They don't accept random luggage. In some ports you drop off your luggage and then park.

Hi Egg,

As you say the definitive answer would be to ask the question from the port authority.

Things have changed in 10 years, security has come more and more important.

How do you know they don't monitor if you drop your bags off then don't check in, in this day and age of technology it would be simple to identify if you haven't checked in, from CCTV seeing someone drop their luggage off then leaving the area to matching up bar codes of luggage to the check in process (obviously with a reasonable time delay.

Pete