Best spots for king penguins?

Nipo

Hi!

We're cruising Valparaiso to Buenos Aires with Norwegian Sun on December and want to see some king penguins We're also a family of five, so those per person prices make readymade excursions very expensive for us. Previously in most of the ports we've taken a taxi or rented a car to travel cheaper, but I have no idea what are the chances over there. So, two questions:

1) What are the best places to see king penguins on our itinerary? and

2) What would be a cost effective way for five people to do this excursion?

Thanks!

Hi!

We're cruising Valparaiso to Buenos Aires with Norwegian Sun on December and want to see some king penguins We're also a family of five, so those per person prices make readymade excursions very expensive for us. Previously in most of the ports we've taken a taxi or rented a car to travel cheaper, but I have no idea what are the chances over there. So, two questions:

1) What are the best places to see king penguins on our itinerary? and

2) What would be a cost effective way for five people to do this excursion?

Thanks!

From the research I have done, the only place you can see King's are at Volunteer Point in the Falkland Islands. Most tour operators are not taking groups there because of the distance and short time in port. It is possible but not guaranteed that you can see a King at the alternative place Patrick Watts is taking tourists. There is one tour guide, I can't remember the name but you can find them if you research, that is offering trips to volunteer point for those on the SUN, at least when we are there in Feb. None of these tours would be cheap though for a group of five. If you want to be economical, you may have to settle for other types of penguins in the Falklands and take the shuttle to Gypsy Point, which is close to the port and very inexpensive. Penguins can also be found at other ports the Sun is going to, but those excursions are also a ways from the ship, expensive, and I don't believe have King's.

Gypsy Cove was one of our favorite stops on our Valpo to BA cruise this past February. The Cove is quite close to the port. The local Land Rover dealership sale manager moonlights as a tour guide/van driver and takes groups to and from the port for a very reasonable fee (10 or 15 dollars pp as I recall).

There are no King Penguins there, only Magellan Penguins. Many of their burrows were no more than 3-5 feet from the footpath, so we were able to observe Penguins at very close range.

We took another much more expensive penguin excursion in Chile, which we found somewhat disappointing. The viewing station was quite a distance from the colony and the few available telescopes were "hogged" by those in front of us...limiting our ability to actually see penguins.

Gypsy cove was more relaxing and enjoyable. There are a couple of other viewing points not far from the port Stanley ....if you contact the guide in advance he could probably give you a flat rate price for your family for the time you are there. You could certainly check with him...

James Bates

email: manager.falklands4x4@fic.co.fk

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name=dr__dawggy;47923103

We took another much more expensive penguin excursion in Chile' date=' which we found somewhat disappointing. The viewing station was quite a distance from the colony and the few available telescopes were "hogged" by those in front of us...limiting our ability to actually see

James Bates

email: manager.falklands4x4@fic.co.fk

Would you mind posting which port and / or excursion you were disappointed with? I'm curious if it's one we are looking at.

Thanks,

Teresa