Best tour in Hilo

Twinkletoes101

Am not seeing current info an Mary Lou's tours. I have seen good things about them in the past, but mostly from 2010... I am wondering if people could recommend a great tour to take around Hilo. What do their prices run, can two people do a tour without costing an arm and a leg? Thanks upfront for info.

The main highlight on the Big Island (IMO) is Volcanoes National Park - only a 45 minute drive from Hilo. It would be easy to rent a car (booked in advance) drive there on your own and explore with the help of advance research and/or information from the VNP visitor's centre.

If a tour is more appealing - in particular, Mary Lou's - here's a link to reviews on Tripadvisor - with many recent reviews.

On Mary Lou's website, they indicate how their tours operate - they aren't set tours - you pick the destinations that you want to visit. If you can get others on your cruise (via your roll call) to join you, it will help keep the costs down. Probably best to email MaryLou's to get an idea of costs.

There are other highlights that you could include in your day, or as an alternative to VNP if it's not of interest - either self-exploring with a rental car or a tour would be ideal.

Am not seeing current info an Mary Lou's tours. I have seen good things about them in the past, but mostly from 2010... I am wondering if people could recommend a great tour to take around Hilo. What do their prices run, can two people do a tour without costing an arm and a leg? Thanks upfront for info.

We have toured with Mary Lou in Hilo. You email ken smet to book, and he will get right back to you. They also do tours in Kona. I believe the cost was $75 pp. when we toured. There is very limited availability as it is family run by Mary Lou, husband Ken, and son Kyle each operating a van. I think max per tour vehicle is probably 6, so 18 total. The price will be the same, even if it happens to be only the 2 of you, which is not likely. You don't need to worry about coming up with any minimum number. Just let them know how many in your party and any special interests. The only exception would be if you request to book a private tour and I really don't know why anyone would. Have not really met Kyle, but both Ken and Mary Lou are completely charming, and as others have said, it is like having family take you around.

Edited by punkincc

• 2 weeks later...