Looking for information in Victoria, BC

We (a family with 12 people) are going to Victoria BC in Aug, our royal Caribbean cruise ship will be docking at port from 9:00AM - 6:00PM...we plan to visit BUTCHART GARDENS...any suggestions on private tour company or, we should book the excursions with Royal Caribbean? Thanks in advance!

With all day, there's no need to use a ship's excursion - they're more expensive and inflexible with specific times of arrival & departure (which many people think include too little time spent at the gardens).

CVS tours operate a flexible shuttle service, so you can stay for as long as you like, so this is what I would usually recommend to people for a Butchart visit. Costs ~CAD$65pp with taxes (adult pricing, youths/kids are less but seniors get no discount - they are Butcharts bread & butter!) which is usually comparable with packing 4 people in a cab (about $60 each way, for $30pp transportation costs - deduct the ticket price from CVS rate and that's pretty much what they're charging you too but it's a fixed rate not traffic-dependent).

With twelve of you though, there's a good chance you could hire a minibus for transport and just pay ticket price to enter Butchart and save money. CVS also charter 16-seaters - contact info for pricing is on that page. I'm sure others are also available, but regardless I can't recommend any bus rental company as I've never used such a service myself.

Renting cars - unless someone has a license to drive a minibus, at least two of you driving a minivan each would be needed - could be a bargain of you have enough willing drivers. With all day, this would enable you to see other spots outside town on your own schedule and even split the group if some want to see butterflies, others wineries, etc. etc.

Same side of the road as USA, similar road signs (NB: speed in is kilometres/hour, not miles/hour - rental cars will also be Canadian spec in Victoria though, so you won't have to convert any numbers).

I too do not recommend Craigdarroch 'Castle' unless you are going for the nice furniture and stained glass - it's a very nice house, but it is not even close to being a real castle so will thoroughly disappoint anyone expecting fortifications.

If you have a US GPS, bring it with you - I've yet to find one that does not include maps of Canada, and renting a GPS is horrible value.

I wouldn't bother with the "castle" - it's really just a large house and in my opinion not worth it.

Yes it's the same way as driving in the US - what did you think it would be?

Cut them some slack. I'm guessing they thought English monarchy, English Queen, English connection and just thought English side of the road.

Not everyone can be a world traveler before they travel. Have you never asked a question that seemed obvious to the person you asked so you felt a little ..... well not the smartest. Gosh, it was a fair question!

I also thought the side of the road question was very reasonable and smart to know when making a decision about driving oneself. The stress of driving on an unfamiliar side can be a big detractor from the enjoyment of the experience. It's totally a deciding factor for me, too.

Sometimes there are condescending posts on these boards that make me feel if I'm not already an expert, I shouldn't be allowed to say or ask anything. We all need to be careful to be nicer.

I am very appreciated for all of you, the information is very helpful ...however, after carefully thinking, I decided to book a Mini Charter bus (Max for 16 people) for 6 hours (with a driver, pick up at port)...well, pretty sure its expensive than Two vans rental but since we have 12 people, its about the same price as joining CVS tour (with big tour bus), thus we could get more flexibility and well utilize/control the time while in Victoria BC.

I am very appreciated for all of you, the information is very helpful ...however, after carefully thinking, I decided to book a Mini Charter bus (Max for 16 people) for 6 hours (with a driver, pick up at port)...well, pretty sure its expensive than Two vans rental but since we have 12 people, its about the same price as joining CVS tour (with big tour bus), thus we could get more flexibility and well utilize/control the time while in Victoria BC.

I think this is a great way to go. This keeps everyone together so you aren't wondering what the other car is thinking. The drivers get t see Vancouver Island as well. Also, the bus drivers will know the traffic patterns better and know how to plan and/or avoid issues.

we are on left side in US, afraid of happening on right side out there...

You actually drive on the "right" side of the road not the left, it's the same as Canada.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app