Viator of Kingsbarns Distillery

We are looking into taking a Viator excursion that goes to Kingsbarns Distillery and St. Andrews.

If you have taken a tour of Kingsbarns or the Old Course, we would appreciate your opinions.

Also, we will have free time in the town of St. Andrews. Any suggestions of what to see or where to have lunch would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

I haven't done the Viator tour but I know the area well. St Andrews centre consists of four parallel Streets - South Street, Market Street, North Street and The Scores overlooking the sea and it is pretty compact so it's easy to walk around.

There's a walking tour of the Old Course https://www.standrews.com/relax/guided-walks-of-the-old-course

The old university is well worth visiting. the area around St Salvator's Chapel and the quad in North Street are well worth a visit. In fact the university is very old, dating back hundreds of years and I also really like the quad in South Street too. You enter through an arched gate then.. wow!

There's also a Cathedral and Castle, as well of course as the Royal and Ancient Club House and the Golfing Museum. It has a great, long beach with sand dunes behind.

There's a very good selection of eateries in St Andrews town centre. If you'd like to try traditional fish and chips I can recommend Tailend and Cromar's. We also like The St Andrews Brewing Company pub and there's an Italian called Little Italy up a side street which does a great lunch. And a visit to St Andrews wouldn't be complete without a visit to Jannetta's - http://jannettas.co.uk/our-cafe/. You must sample their home made ice-cream.

I assume you know that the Kingsbarns distillery is the new kid on the block? There is nothing else to see in the village. It is just a pub, farm and houses really. of course it has an amazing golf course but you won't have time for that.