Kauai NaPali Dinner Cruise? POA

SailingSunsets33

Hi all!

This is my very first post even though I have been reading the boards for months. I am in the very early stages of planning a surprise POA Hawaii cruise for my husband. We will be cruising in June 2017 for our 10th anniversary.

I have a very specific question about Kauai. The 1st day of our stay in Kauai will be our actual anniversary. I am trying to plan something special for that evening, but I don't know where to start. We are in our 30s and are adventurous. I am planning on renting cars in most ports, including Kauai. I was thinking about booking a NaPali Coast Dinner cruise. I know that the coast is very visible from the POA, and I was wondering if there is a different activity that would be more worthwhile/less redundant.

Please help! Thanks :D

Hi all!

This is my very first post even though I have been reading the boards for months. I am in the very early stages of planning a surprise POA Hawaii cruise for my husband. We will be cruising in June 2017 for our 10th anniversary.

I have a very specific question about Kauai. The 1st day of our stay in Kauai will be our actual anniversary. I am trying to plan something special for that evening, but I don't know where to start. We are in our 30s and are adventurous. I am planning on renting cars in most ports, including Kauai. I was thinking about booking a NaPali Coast Dinner cruise. I know that the coast is very visible from the POA, and I was wondering if there is a different activity that would be more worthwhile/less redundant.

I don't know anything about the Na Pali Coast Dinner Cruise. You can check out reviews on places like Trip Advisor. We stayed several days in the Princeville area several years ago, and while there we did an afternoon catamaran sail down the Na Pali Coast. I can tell you that the POA sail by, which we have done twice now and although lovely, is no comparison to a small boat which can get so much closer to the coast than a large cruise ship. If you like the reviews, this sounds like a great option.

Another option for that area, and great for a special anniversary, might be to do an early afternoon catamoran sail of the coast followed by watching the sunset at the St Regis Princeville Resort, which has to have the most spectacular setting of any hotel I've ever seen, looking out across the water to Hanalie Bay and those mountains. Just magical.

The St Regis Bar, which has a terrace which looks out on the incredible view, opens at 3:30 and has live music in the evenings. Great view from inside as well. They have small plates until 10:30. At sunset they do a champagne sabre ritual on the terrace. After sunset, you could dine at the Makana Terrace on the property, also with fantastic views, and seasonally has a dinner show, or more economically, just do small plates at the St. Regis bar. If you go for sunset, go very early as this is premium real estate.

Edited by punkincc

Usually the food isn't the greatest on boat cruises (and I'm being polite) but why pay for another dinner when you can have a romantic dinner on board at Le Bistro or Jeffersons.

Then splurge and do a helicopter tour, you won't regret it and you'll see area's that you can't see from the ship. It's justbreath taking and I'm sure others will agree.

Edited by FranknBeans

Usually the food isn't the greatest on boat cruises (and I'm being polite) but why pay for another dinner when you can have a romantic dinner on board at Le Bistro or Jeffersons.

Then splurge and do a helicopter tour, you won't regret it and you'll see area's that you can't see from the ship. It's justbreath taking and I'm sure others will agree.

The ones which have great food are usually ultra expensive, but for an anniversary it might be worth the splurge. But that's why I suggested a cat to see the Na Pali up close and then a great, although expensive dinner elsewhere with a fab view.

Also agree about the heli tour. You could schedule one early am on the last Kauai port day. We did Blue Hawaiian and they pick up at the pier. Book direct with them for savings. Flying down into Waimea Canyon and into those Na Pali valleys is jaw dropping and you will never forget it.

Hi all!

I'll be cruising Hawaii next year with Royal Caribbean. We have an overnight in Kauai. Our itinerary is very similar to the one POA offers plus 5 sea days after Hawaii. I was going to book a sunset cruise with Captain Andy which comes recommended on both cruise critic and trip advisor. This maybe a good option, if you don't mind going private instead of doing ship tours.

http://www.napali.com/tours/ss/na-pali-sunset-sail/

I don't know anything about the Na Pali Coast Dinner Cruise. You can check out reviews on places like Trip Advisor. We stayed several days in the Princeville area several years ago, and while there we did an afternoon catamaran sail down the Na Pali Coast. I can tell you that the POA sail by, which we have done twice now and although lovely, is no comparison to a small boat which can get so much closer to the coast than a large cruise ship. If you like the reviews, this sounds like a great option.

Another option for that area, and great for a special anniversary, might be to do an early afternoon catamoran sail of the coast followed by watching the sunset at the St Regis Princeville Resort, which has to have the most spectacular setting of any hotel I've ever seen, looking out across the water to Hanalie Bay and those mountains. Just magical.

The St Regis Bar, which has a terrace which looks out on the incredible view, opens at 3:30 and has live music in the evenings. Great view from inside as well. They have small plates until 10:30. At sunset they do a champagne sabre ritual on the terrace. After sunset, you could dine at the Makana Terrace on the property, also with fantastic views, and seasonally has a dinner show, or more economically, just do small plates at the St. Regis bar. If you go for sunset, go very early as this is premium real estate.

Thanks for all of the information! I think that this sounds like a fabulous idea. I really appreciate the specific details :)

I am definitely leaning towards a helicopter tour, most likely on our second day there. Do you have any specific recommendations on a specific company?

I'll be cruising Hawaii next year with Royal Caribbean. We have an overnight in Kauai. Our itinerary is very similar to the one POA offers plus 5 sea days after Hawaii. I was going to book a sunset cruise with Captain Andy which comes recommended on both cruise critic and trip advisor. This maybe a good option, if you don't mind going private instead of doing ship tours.

http://www.napali.com/tours/ss/na-pali-sunset-sail/

I have read many positive reviews about Captain Andy's sunset cruises. The only thing that I am a little apprehensive about is seasickness. Even though they have wonderful reviews, many people mention the rough water (I realize that this would be with any Na Pali cruise). It sounds amazing though!

Thanks for all of the information! I think that this sounds like a fabulous idea. I really appreciate the specific details :)

I am definitely leaning towards a helicopter tour, most likely on our second day there. Do you have any specific recommendations on a specific company?

if you poke around the St Regis website and Trip Advisor you can find more info on the sunset ceremony. I seem to remember a torch lighting ceremony on the terrace, but when I looked this time, I did not see a mention of this, but maybe it's part of the "sabre" ceremony.

We used Blue Hawaiian. They run like a well oiled machine. Huge Windows on the Eco Star copters, check out their website, so there are no bad seats. The earlier flights generally get the better views as clouds tend to gather as the day goes on. This applies to views of Na Pali from the water as well. BH had a pretty lenient cancellation policy as I recall, so that is what we did early on to make sure we had a seat.

"Captain Andy" sounds familiar to me. I wonder if he is the one we did our tour with about 15 years ago. I remember him talking about being a Vietnam Vet. The "winter" months get the high surf and rougher seas along the Northshore, but you could get rough conditions in the summer too, anywhere around the islands.

Edited by punkincc

if you poke around the St Regis website and Trip Advisor you can find more info on the sunset ceremony. I seem to remember a torch lighting ceremony on the terrace, but when I looked this time, I did not see a mention of this, but maybe it's part of the "sabre" ceremony.

We used Blue Hawaiian. They run like a well oiled machine. Huge Windows on the Eco Star copters, check out their website, so there are no bad seats. The earlier flights generally get the better views as clouds tend to gather as the day goes on. This applies to views of Na Pali from the water as well. BH had a pretty lenient cancellation policy as I recall, so that is what we did early on to make sure we had a seat.

"Captain Andy" sounds familiar to me. I wonder if he is the one we did our tour with about 15 years ago. I remember him talking about being a Vietnam Vet. The "winter" months get the high surf and rougher seas along the Northshore, but you could get rough conditions in the summer too, anywhere around the islands.

Thank you for all of this great information! You have been so helpful :) I will definitely continue to look into the sunset ceremony.

I am leaning towards Blue Hawaiian Helicopters because everyone has great things to say about them. How far in advance do you recommend booking a helicopter tour? I know that our trip is more than a year out, but I also know that many cruisers take helicopter tours in Kauai.

I understand that conditions can get rough at any time, and that is why I'm hesitant to book it. Fortunately, I have some time to decide. I'm sure I will continue to post questions-thanks again for all of your help!