Solo cruiser on Carnival Valor July 28, 2013

Leo's Rule

Hi all!

This will be my first solo cruise. I'm a bit nervous, but I'm really hoping there are other solo cruisers on this sailing. Currently, the roll call for my sailing is dead.

I had originally planned a land vacation to St. Lucia, but all of my friends backed out for various reasons. I considered going by myself, but the cost for a solo traveler was through the roof! The cost for a 5 day/4 night vacation was more than a week long vacation on a cruise! :eek:

So, I got the bright idea to look at a cruise for my birthday more seriously. I wasn't going to book right away, but wait to see if Carnival dropped their prices so I could take advantage of their Pack-n-Go rate. I was watching 4 different cruises and then saw this sailing had a resident's rate promotion going on that was cheaper than all of Carnival's other rates so I booked it! But now I'm by myself.

I think my main concern is I like to take a bunch of photos and will not have anyone to take photos of me. And yes, I will ask people to snap photos for me, but it's different when you bug someone who knows you. :D

Anyhow, please tell me someone else will be joining me. I think there's only 4 or 5 other people on the roll call.

Oh, and if I didn't state it, I am a female who will be celebrating her 30 something birthday.

My first solo cruise was on carnival glory a couple years ago. Check with the dining room when you board to make sure you are at a large table with other solos. My table was great and a few of us hung out at night after dinner and even in the afternoons when I ran I into them at the pool.

Think about doing some excursions to meet other people.

Have a fun cruise!

My first solo cruise was on carnival glory a couple years ago. Check with the dining room when you board to make sure you are at a large table with other solos. My table was great and a few of us hung out at night after dinner and even in the afternoons when I ran I into them at the pool.

Think about doing some excursions to meet other people.

Have a fun cruise!

Thanks for the input. I'm actually doing YTD and because I just did this itinerary in October on the Victory, I'm only getting off in St. Lucia and St. Maarten. But I may change my mind by the time July rolls around. :)

I think you will be just fine! I am also concerned about photos but since everyone is doing the same thing I think lots of people will be willing to help out. May even be a good way to meet people!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This will be my first solo cruise. I'm a bit nervous' date=' but I'm really hoping there are other solo cruisers on this sailing. Currently, the roll call for my sailing is dead.

[/quote']

When I cruised solo last December I ended up meeting so many people I had to turn some invitations down. I met a couple one day at Sapphire beach in St. Thomas where I had just grabbed a cab on my own. We ended up sitting together, snorkeling together, and having a few beers. Later in the week they called my cabin and invited me to join them for dinner. On an excursion in St. Kitts I met another couple I really clicked with, and we hung out the whole next sea day. We even have plans to meet up next December in St. Lucia.

So my point is, don't limit yourself to just meeting other singles (unless you are actively looking to hook up :D) Do what you like, and you'll meet people doing the same thing, and right off the bat you'll have common interests. Don't spend too much time alone in your room, get out there and smile and participate. Sometimes just people watching can be a pretty active sport too.

Sitting with a group at dinner is a great way to meet people too, maybe a tad awkward at first but for me it was nice to have a solid group to bounce experiences off of, and also hear theirs. And then when you see them out and about you can stop and chat or at least give a wave and you feel like, 'hey I know someone!' Ha ha.

I think my main concern is I like to take a bunch of photos and will not have anyone to take photos of me. And yes' date=' I will ask people to snap photos for me, but it's different when you bug someone who knows you. :D[/quote']

Cruising is a very social experience, so by day two at the latest, you'll already have met "someone who knows you". Another tactic you can use is approaching someone struggling with taking a picture of themselves, that is, taking it by holding the camera with an outstretched arm. (You know what I'm talking about. :D) Offer to take a picture of them, then ask if they can take one of you. Then if you want, lead into a conversation.

Or you can simply ask crew members to take photos of you. It's their job to help you anyway, and it's a simple task that takes less than a minute for them to do. In ports, ask public service workers, like waitstaff, bartenders, and security guards.

I think you will be just fine! I am also concerned about photos but since everyone is doing the same thing I think lots of people will be willing to help out. May even be a good way to meet people!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks! The more I think about this, the more I begin to feel a little better. I recall going to the MDR by myself because my mother didn't like any of the food on the menu :eek: (I know, a crying shame), but I would chat with people with no problems. Now, if they made it obvious they didn't want to interact with me, then I kept to myself.

When I cruised solo last December I ended up meeting so many people I had to turn some invitations down. I met a couple one day at Sapphire beach in St. Thomas where I had just grabbed a cab on my own. We ended up sitting together, snorkeling together, and having a few beers. Later in the week they called my cabin and invited me to join them for dinner. On an excursion in St. Kitts I met another couple I really clicked with, and we hung out the whole next sea day. We even have plans to meet up next December in St. Lucia.

So my point is, don't limit yourself to just meeting other singles (unless you are actively looking to hook up :D) Do what you like, and you'll meet people doing the same thing, and right off the bat you'll have common interests. Don't spend too much time alone in your room, get out there and smile and participate. Sometimes just people watching can be a pretty active sport too.

Sitting with a group at dinner is a great way to meet people too, maybe a tad awkward at first but for me it was nice to have a solid group to bounce experiences off of, and also hear theirs. And then when you see them out and about you can stop and chat or at least give a wave and you feel like, 'hey I know someone!' Ha ha.

LOL. No, I'm not actively seeking to hook up...and I hope I don't give off that vibe.

Believe me, I won't be in my cabin...I could have stayed at home for free...so I don't spend money on vacation just to sleep and watch tv. I think I'm going to surprise myself and just cut up. I'm usually shy, though my friends and co-workers don't believe me. I know I can be flirtatious, but I don't realize I'm doing it...maybe that's why they don't think I'm shy. :rolleyes:

Oh...and my cutting up will be on the dance floor. I'm usually reserved, but I think I'm going to adopt the "Hey, they don't know me and I don't know them" attitude. LOL :D

I don't have problems with chatting with people at dinner. So, I'll be fine there. But thank you for your suggestions!!!!!!!!

Cruising is a very social experience, so by day two at the latest, you'll already have met "someone who knows you". Another tactic you can use is approaching someone struggling with taking a picture of themselves, that is, taking it by holding the camera with an outstretched arm. (You know what I'm talking about. :D) Offer to take a picture of them, then ask if they can take one of you. Then if you want, lead into a conversation.

Or you can simply ask crew members to take photos of you. It's their job to help you anyway, and it's a simple task that takes less than a minute for them to do. In ports, ask public service workers, like waitstaff, bartenders, and security guards.

Yes, I know what you're talking about...I'm guilty of doing it! :D I normally help couples out when I see them trying to take solo pictures or a picture together. But thanks for the suggestion of who to ask while I'm in port.

I just did this itinerary in October on the Victory, so I'm not really going to get off...though that could change by the time July gets here. I do know that I'm getting off in St. Lucia and St. Maarten. I liked all of the islands, but those two are really pulling me!

Archived