Currency for Figi, Samoa, Vanuatu

• 2 weeks later...
We will be on the Queen Victoria this winter. Can anyone tell me if we need the local currency or will they accept either US or Australian dollars.

Thanks Ontario Cruiser

Hi Ontario Cruiser, I can only answer for Vanuatu.

Most shops and restaurants are happy to accept $AU and $US but each place can set it's own exchange rate. Currently the average is 85vt/$1 and most places will have to give you change in Vatu anyway as they won't have foreign currency in the till.

Goodies is the best place in Vanuatu to exchange money and will usually have a better rate than the local shops and the ship.

Most places in Fiji will accept AUD, not sure about USD though. There are plenty of ATMs near the port which are attached to branches of Australian banks should you find you need $Fiji.

If you are going to Pago Pago which is American Samoa, you will find unsurprisingly that they will accept USD. If you are going to Apia instead of Pago Pago it's so long since I've been there, I can't remember what currency is acceptable :eek: but I suspect AUD would be OK.

Thanks, Any suggestions for touring the island. Ontario Cruiser

Port Vila has so much to offer, from Abseiling to Ziplining!

Hideaway Island is great for snorkelling. Cascades Waterfall is beautiful and you can choose to walk up to the falls or abseil down them depending on how much adrenalin you like.

Hiring a private driver for the day you can be taken around the entire island visiting places like Eton Beach, Blue Lagoon, Havannah Harbour and much more.

Go to Ekasup Cultural Village for a lesson in Vanuatu history or the Secret Garden to look at native plants and reptiles.

The scuba diving is excellent here, for the less adventurous there is Snuba or a Helmet Walk on the ocean floor.

There are a number of half and full day Sail and Snorkel tours or Glass Bottom Boat tours.

Dirt Buggies? Quad biking? Parasailing? Jetskiing? Zorbing? Zegos? Kayaking? Canoeing? All here!

Or just find yourself a waterfront restaurant and enjoy the amazing local organic food and try the iconic locally brewed Tusker beer while enjoying the view :)