shots or pills?

CruisersfromMD

My DH saw a something on the CDC site about important vaccines and pills for travel to Honduras.

Has anyone who cruised to Honduras ever taken any anti-malaria pills or had shots prior to the trip?

The info. that he saw on the CDC site was the first I have heard or read about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Milaria is spread by mosquitoes and the risk of mosquito bites is very low during the day, especially with a breeze. Since you have to be back on board before dusk and you are only there for a day, there should be very low risk of milaria.

I would use a good deet-containing repellent in Honduras, Belize and Cozumel in any case.

We have been to Roatan and did not take any malaria medication. We did take bug spray (Deep Woods Off with Deet) as I had heard that there were some sand fleas that had bothered some people on the beach. We did not need to use it when we were there in January of 2007, but we are visiting again this January and will take it along just in case.

Don't forget if you are flying during part of your trip to pack non-aerosol bug repellants. Some airlines no longer allow transport of aersol cans in luggage.

We are big fans of Bite Blocker herbal bug repellant. It works extremely well and comes in lotion and non-aersol pumps. It smells a lot like suntan lotion too! We've bought it on line, so you can search for Bite Blocker for more information. Deet still works better, but of course is not as safe for use directly on the skin.

Archived