Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge

saldino

Is this a floating bridge? Is it possible to access the bridge in a mobility scooter? Thank you.

Yes, this is a floating bridge. Very unique and interesting!! Really enjoying seeing it, knowing its history, how it operated, etc. More below. From our walking across this bridge, as I recall, it is covered with wood planking and is reasonably smooth. Like many pavements, roadways, sidewalks, etc., I am not saying that everything is perfectly "perfect", but it would seem that things should work out reasonably well in crossing this bridge with such a mobility scooter. I checked my files and pulled out some of my pictures to illustrate the wooden nature of its covering and structure.

Below are four visuals from Curacao that detail and spotlight the Queen Emma Bridge. It is an interesting pontoon bridge crossing St. Anna Bay in Curaçao. The bridge is hinged and opens via two diesel engines turning propellers. The bridge was built in 1888 and was completely renovated in 1939. Originally it was a toll bridge. Today, the toll is no longer charged.

For more Curacao: Pix's, Fun, Experiences Feb./2015!, see:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2263377

Other question, info needs? Check out my live/blogs and other postings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 41,824 views for these postings.

When the Queen Emma Pontoon Bridge was opened to allow our cruise ship to enter the port here, this was the closer view of this wooden structure with its supporting pontoons under its supporting trusses, etc.:

TravelSept161_zpsfki7gqjb.jpg

From Curacao, one of the really fun fascinations for me was walking across and watching the opening of the floating, wooden bridge in the downtown/port area. Very unique and interesting!! We also rode the ferry across on one of the times when this floating bridge was briefly closed to allow a ship to exit their harbor area to the open seas. Also shown are that bridge in the day-time in context of their main downtown, historic buildings and another of my visuals to illustrate how things looked at night when the special lighting was on this bridge. Fun visit to Curacao!:

ArubaA1_zpsjikowmc8.jpg

ArubaA3_zps1ojvjdux.jpg

ArubaA4_zpsrtrw4pku.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio