Booked Anniversary Cruise 2015!

karessamom

We just booked a cruise for Aug 2015 for our 30th wedding anniversary! Way stoked! My question is we are planning on coming in a few days earlier and do Johnson Space center tour. I'm kinda thinking that we'll be staying at one of the "Hobby" hotels either Best Western or Drury as we've always had good luck at those hotels (other places) and the prices are far better than what I was able to find in Galveston--although we've never been to TX, Houston or Galveston areas. It's only the 2 of us but what mode of transportation from the hotel to Johnson and back would be most economical for 2. Also we'll need trans from the hotel to pier and back to airport after the cruise--although we're thinking probably the carnival transfers?? (we can just go back to airport on day of cruise and catch the transfer if needed. what are some good suggestions?? since we are totally unfamiliar with Houston, Galveston or the surrounding areas. (we are going on the Carnival Magic) thanks

Ok it seems if we were to rent a car at Houston Hobby we'd need to return it to Texas city since I can't seem to find any place in Galveston who will take it back on Sunday. Question is how do we get from Texas City to Galveston on morning of cruise?? any ideas?? seems like the only other alternative is to rent car at hobby and return car to hobby on the morning of the cruise and take the carnival shuttle to the port??

• 2 weeks later...

We rented car at airport called them direct asked about and arranged returning car to Galveston come boarding day we dropped luggage at port called taxi to meet at rental agency returned car making sure gas appropriate level took pic of gas gauge and mileage put key through key slot and got into cab and went for cruise... Other option inn at the water park good room rates free parking while on cruise hope you have a fabulous cruise

We rented car at airport called them direct asked about and arranged returning car to Galveston come boarding day we dropped luggage at port called taxi to meet at rental agency returned car making sure gas appropriate level took pic of gas gauge and mileage put key through key slot and got into cab and went for cruise... Other option inn at the water park good room rates free parking while on cruise hope you have a fabulous cruise

That's a good idea who did you rent your car from?? Did they have a place in Galveston to return car or did u have to take it to Texas city?? There are some pretty good rates I found thru my husbands ASCE or the other civil eng organization but it's thru company's that the closest place to return is Texas city and I think the cab fare is about $50?? From there?? Still may be less expensive to rent the car out of hobby for 2 days return it back when we get back from Johnson on sat then take carnival trans out to cruise terminal unless enterprise is still in Galveston still can't get a rate to pop says no availability when I try to rent out of hobby and return to Galveston. TA is going to be working on that later thus year or early next

• 4 weeks later...

I think I know what we're going to do. I think I've decided to rent a car out of Hobby when we get in on Thursday night then we'll have the car to run around site see etc we'll probably stay at the Drury inn hobby they have a great breakfast and they offer kickback in the evenings and it's good enough for dinner at least for us. Haven't of course stayed there in Texas but did stay there in Colorado Springs nothing fancy but good and it's free then Saturday evening sometime we'll take the car back to the airport use shuttle back to hotel then shuttle Sunday morning back to the airport to meet the carnival shuttle to the terminal. I just called them and they said that they will shuttle you to terminal if u come in early but of course only the day of your cruise. They told me that I could just find an early arriving flight and fake it just to meet them around 10am when they start runs to the terminal. Sounds great to me. That's kinda what wed planned on doing but I'd heard that they wouldn't take you if you came in earlier so I panicked thinking I wouldn't be able to do that.