Silhouette 28 May 14 Baltic / Russia

downundermatt

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
So we've bitten the bullet and finally booked.

Surely we aint the only male couple bound for Russia on this trip :eek:

Hi Matt and Partner, we just booked so you will not be alone. Lets meet for a drink at the Martini Bar on the night after we sail from Stockholm unless we run into each other before. Our last cruises ended up with quite a family gathering and the Martinis went down well. We will do anytime dinner so i am thinking round 9.

Hi Simon and Jeff - happy to have some 'family' finally !!

We have tours planned in St Petersberg and Berlin thru Cruise Critic Groups

(with Denrus and TJ Tours respectively) The nightime visit to the Hermitage was of interest, but I heard it closes at 9pm so we gave it a miss - the days will be pretty full on as it is . Martina Bar sounds very sensible to us .....

The smaller ports like Tallinn, we will do it ourselves - I have been lucky enough to have been to most of the other ports already. In Fredericia we are planning on hiring a car ....

Cheers Matt (Aussie) and Juan (from Mexico originally)

Hi Simon and Jeff - happy to have some 'family' finally !!

We have tours planned in St Petersberg and Berlin thru Cruise Critic Groups

(with Denrus and TJ Tours respectively) The nightime visit to the Hermitage was of interest, but I heard it closes at 9pm so we gave it a miss - the days will be pretty full on as it is . Martina Bar sounds very sensible to us .....

The smaller ports like Tallinn, we will do it ourselves - I have been lucky enough to have been to most of the other ports already. In Fredericia we are planning on hiring a car ....

Cheers Matt (Aussie) and Juan (from Mexico originally)

Hello Guys, Morgan and Richard here...also family and looking forward to meeting more "friends of Dorothy's" on board. We're SoCal boyz. See you at the Martini Bar, and we are also working on what we want to do re: the St. Petersburg and Berlin tours.

Welcome Gaspo & Morgan.

We have booked a SPB Tour in St Petes, and are joining another small group for Berlin.(Stephen Haber) cost

Helsinki we are looking at going to Porvoo, there is a lady trying to arrange, it would be a trip to Porvoo and then afternoon in Helsinki, if any of you are interested let me know and I will let her to add as she is trying to get a minimum number (knolmom@aol.com) hopefully about $100pp.

For Tallinn am thinking the best is to do what some say, grab a taxi to the top and let gravetiy pull us back to the ship.

Fredericia is still open as it appears most groups are booked there we are hoping they will add another bus and we can join a private tour, they have three so far with 6 or 8 hoping for another bus (knolmom@aol.com)

Have to follow up on Copenhagen and just realized we have nothing planned for Stolkholm.

Other than Amsterdam this is all brand new for me and all is brand new for Jeff.

BTW we live in Nashville :) and will be the guys in the speedos in the hot tub it is part of our cruise ritual LOL, and you meet great people.

Thanks Simon, Morgan and I look fwd. to meeting you and Jeff.

We are hanging in and around Stockholm a couple of days before boarding.

Thanks for sharing the information, I will reach out to knolmom@aol.com regarding Helsinki/Porvoo and inquire about adding our names to the waitlist for an additional bus for the offered Fredericia tour.

Our Copenhagen plans are around a dining reservation at Nomo...we'll see. The cab race to the top at Tallinn sounds like the way to explore that charming town. Morgan has been there before as well as Berlin many times. We are interested in sharing a van to limit the time spent loading and lumbering on a bus to and from Berlin. I will explore the larger site and see if there are any opportunities to do so.

Looking forward too a great trip and meeting and making new friends. Again, thanks for the helpful info Simon. I will follow-up on any developments to our agenda.

While we are happy in a hot tub, the speedo is another story! In Palm Springs we wear a smile. HA!

While we are happy in a hot tub, the speedo is another story! In Palm Springs we wear a smile. HA!

Aha Palm Springs yes I know a few from that part of the world LOL and Yes they wear speedos LOL

Or however it is spelt. Matt not sure if you are interested but there is a private tour, I see Gaspo & Morgan have shown interest and I think they would make 10 of a possible twelve.

Hi Guys !! (am so glad I can use the plural because it was just us two registered on CC a week ago)

We have arranged a car for Fredericia so are all sorted.

As for Tallin I hear its a easy town for walking and have a pretty good walking tour map (if anyone needs a copy let me know)

Helsinki I think we will get a Helsinki Card more than likely so thanks for the offer

Hot tub - twist the arm LOL but don't expect me to be their in speedos !:)

As for the Martini Bar, we have the Beverage package included so look out for us nightly :) just don't bother looking for us at breakfast:D

Edited by downundermatt
update

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings from Sunny Stockholm

We arrived yesterday and the weather has been quite reasonable (a tad cold for us Aussies- maybe not quite speedo weather) but at least not a drop of rain :)

Popped into the main bar (Torget ?) last night with a local friend and it was fairly mixed and quiet, then again it was Tuesday.

Look forward to meating up on board - safe travels

Cheers Matt (and Juan)

Edited by downundermatt
title

After four fun days in Sweden we are on board and heading to lunch. We are looking forward to meeting the members of the August Friends of Dorothy on board at the Martini Bar soon.

May go back out later Matt and Juan. Morgan and and I didn't do any localclubs or bars yet...as you say, Tuesday not the best evening for meeting the working locals!

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone -

Hope you had a GREAT cruise! My spouse and I are sailing next year on the Baltic Capitals Cruise out of Amsterdam on June 7th. We'd like to get some ideas on booking some private tours - especially in St. Petersburg and Berlin!

Also - if you got your own Russian visas where did you get them? I have used a visa service in Houston (TransVisa) via FedEx but am open to new suggestions. We live in San Francisco.

Thanks for your feedback!

Thom & Adrian