NOLA - Hilton Riverside or Astor Crowne Plaza?

harleywv

We are leaving on the Carnival Triumph in October. I can get the Hilton Riverside for $86 or the Astor for $113.

My plan is to arrive a day early, park at Fulton (for the duration of the cruise) , and then go to the hotel and use taxis or street cars to get around. Does this sound like a good idea?

Which hotel of the 2 would you recommend? Or neither?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We actually stayed at both on our last cruise February 2016. Hilton Riverside the night before and Astor Crown Plaza for 2 nights after. Hilton was fine, modern and clean. I also stumbled onto the Mark Twain courtyard in building 3. Some benches a couple of ashtrays and not another soul out there, overlooking the Mississippi. Now onto the other experience at Astor Crown Plaza. The picture I attached is the inside of the ice maker at the Crown Plaza (i think 4th floor). The room never cooled to a comfortable temp although the hallways felt like a meat locker. I even bypassed the "eco mode", didn't help. Then out of desperation, I opened up the wall a/c cover-up after removing a completely clogged grill grate, we finally at least got some measurable air flow, just not cold air. We were in the historic Alexa Tower and the long hallway to the elevators smelled musty the whole time. The newer renovated Astor tower may be nicer, but poor housekeeping practices like the lack of a safe ice maker ensures that I will never find out. We wanted to stay in the French Quarter after the cruise and it was perfectly situated for what we wanted, but fell far too short. The Bourbon House restaurant however, was delicious. I would definitely stay at Hilton between the 2, but I also might keep looking for other properties in FQ as well, to stay in the action.

1460621389139.jpg.54aa0ab0d6ebeee2ff425aa1849d9911.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I also vote for Hilton. Crowne Plaza messed us over with a reservation one time. They were horrible about it. Hilton is closer to port. Crowne Plaza closer to French Quarter. But New Orleans is compact, so you can easily get around walking or taking a cab.