Arctic Affair

On Sunday (27th) we returned from the 15 night Arctic Affair Cruise.We had a great time on what must be a once in a lifetime itinerary, especially as we heard that Cruises will no longer be able to visit Svalbard in an effort to maintain the pristine environment.

We had been on the North Cape Adventure Cruise before so some places were familiar to us.The scenery was tremendous and the sea was unbelievably calm.Seeing whales and dolphins in their natural environment was a special treat.

The Spirit was not my favourite ship before the cruise,previously we thought it tatty,bad crew morale,non existent library amongst other negatives,However! they have spruced up the ship,the Crew could not have been friendlier,the library is stocked and the food was stunning.

Can't speak about shows as we never went to any and we don't do formal nights,we went to to Compass Rose Main restaurant on the first night but was saddened to find that we had to share a table with strangers which put a dampener on that,so every meal after was in the Lido,and it was superb.

All in all,a very enjoyable cruise.

Mark.

We were on this cruise too. What a fantastic one it was. Like you we had previously done the North Cape and knew this would be a once in a lifetime itinery so we had to do it. So pleased we did.

Couldn't fault anything and the crew were amazing never had to wait for drnks and the service in the Compass Rose was great.

We went to most of the shows and enjoyed them also enjoyed the other acts - the 2 comedians and the singer.

Met some lovely people and of course lovely crew especially the gang in Horizons, Alex, Colin and Vincent. Didn't want to get off.

We've also just returned from Arctic Affair. Beginning to get ship ready for platinum, we had tea and coffee facilities in cabin. Ship was kept spotlessly clean and the staff were brilliant. My only complaint was the dinner menu in MDR choice of food was not as good as previously and some nights we had to eat in Lido as we didn't like the menu. There seemed to much spicy food on the menu. An example is on the last night the main course choices were

Tilapia (fish)

Beef Stroganoff

Chicken Tandoori

Spegetti Bolognase

None of which I am keen on.

But the food in the Lido Buffet was very good, not forgetting the puddings with custard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've also just returned from Arctic Affair. Beginning to get ship ready for platinum, we had tea and coffee facilities in cabin. Ship was kept spotlessly clean and the staff were brilliant. My only complaint was the dinner menu in MDR choice of food was not as good as previously and some nights we had to eat in Lido as we didn't like the menu. There seemed to much spicy food on the menu. An example is on the last night the main course choices were

Tilapia (fish)

Beef Stroganoff

Chicken Tandoori

Spegetti Bolognase

None of which I am keen on.

But the food in the Lido Buffet was very good, not forgetting the puddings with custard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree with you about the food. It was ok but not as good as previous cruises.

I'm glad you all had a great time, with such a wonderful itinerary it would have been hard not too. Good weather was also a bonus.

Can anyone post photographs? I would love to see what I missed.

We really wanted to do this cruise but the timing wasn't right for us. I have been following it closely and am delighted it was as good as we thought it would be and with lovely weather too.

However, if the menu on the last night is typical of Thomson cruise fare then it is no longer for me. This is the sort of thing I complained about after our Dream cruise. Not good enough, Thomson and penny pinching on food. As I have said before, not something I am prepared to compromise on.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Grandson and I ate in the Spirit MDR 3 times and 4 times in the buffet restaurant for Dinner for a number of reasons.

Service in the MDR was very slow.

He was only offered the Kids Menu in the MDR, whereas he had more choice in the buffet.

I actually preferred the Spirit buffet restaurant to the MDR, whereas on previous cruises, Majesty especially, I always preferred the MDR even for breakfast.

I preferred the MDR to the Buffet for one reason only. We got to meet some lovely people who we shared tables with, whereas in the buffet this did not happen as people did not share tables.