Full transit: Should I do a tour in Colon as well?

poolboyclay

Still trying to get a grasp on the cruise. We will be 17 days on Infinity.

If we do a full transit from the left coast, should I still book a canal excursion in Colon, or do something else while there?

Essentially are the canal excursions different than what I would see from the ship?

Poolboy: You left me trying to get a grasp as well. Can't quite find what your itinerary is for that date ... or how long you are in Colon.

In general if you are doing a complete transit, one ocean to another, you will see the entire Canal. The only additional thing you might like to do, if you have a full stop in Colon, is see the Canal construction underway from the new Gatun Visitor Center. If you have a full day in Colon there are amazing tours that you can do, either through the ship, or some on your own if you plan and book in advance. Colon is not a place where you just want to get off the ship and hope to pick up a tour at the pier. Depending on your areas of interest you can visit historical areas (Old Panama, Colonial Panama, the old Canal Zone areas, Portobelo, the fort at San Lorenzo) or for a unique cultural experience, "right out of National Geographic" the Authentic Embera Village Tour to Embera Puru, or for nature Captain Carl's tour, "monkey island", rain forest hikes, or kayaking or fishing in Gatun Lake. If you're a train buff, the Panama Railway.

Regards, Richard

Thanks Richard, below is what Celebrity says about port time.

Day 14 Thu, Oct 01 Colon, Panama / Docked 6:00 AM 4:00 PM

I am a train guy, but I don't think the wife would go for that. We'll pick historical or "right out of National Geographic". lol

Thanks for the insight!