Assistance with Air from BOS to Italy

Mary Louise

Hello,

My husband and I are booked on the Carnival Freedom for June of 08. We are planning to book our own air to Italy. Has anyone from BOS done this? If so what airline do you recommend, and did you only go one day or two days before the day of embarkation?

How far in advance did you book your air? What should I expect to pay for airfare?

I teach so I am use to booking 331 days out for our February cruise, so do I have to book that far in advance for Europe?

Thanks

ML

Which airport in Italy? Will you be doing a round trip, or flying into one airport and out of the other?

Three of us are going from Boston to Rome next Sunday and returning from Venice after our cruise. We will arrive Monday morning and our ship departs Wednesday night. I booked our flights last July on Lufthansa. I used frequent flier miles, so I had to do it very early since it is very difficult to get 3 free seats. And I hadn't realized when I made the reservation that we were flying on Easter.

Read the newspapers and check all the travel sites. I think you will get the best prices booking early.

June is prime season, so there should be a lot of flights, but I would think the prices would be high.

We have not decided if we will go to Venice first then return by Rome or if we will do a RT to Rome. Is your flight a direct flight, if not where are you stopping.

What travel sites do you recommend?

Thanks again

ML

We are stopping in Frankfurt, Germany both ways. For travel sites, I generally look at the major ones - Expedia, Travelocity, and Orbitz, however, I never book through them. I use them to search to see who is offering what, and then I book directly on the airlines site. It is generally cheaper to book directly with the airline and you may find that they have more convenient flights available that you didn't see on Expedia.

Archived