Silver Sands Beach

SoBe2010

Hello everybody,

has anybody ever or recently been at Silver Sands Beach? It seems like 20 minutes drive from Falmouth.

I was curious about:

what the taxi charges?

How is the beach in general?

Is it safe, as far as you can judge?

are there facilities and restaurants?

Thank you very much!

We have rented a villa in Silver Sands 5 times. We absolutely love it. The beach is one of the nicest any where. Fairly shallow water and nice sandy bottom. The waves can get a bit fun if it is windy. Life guards are on duty during the day.

By "safe" I am assuming that you mean pushy vendors and crime... Yes, safe as can be. There is only one entrance and exit - it is guarded 24/7.

They do have some ammenities... Kayaking, boogie boards, etc. are available. Snorkeling from shore is fair. You can hire a local boat to take you out to the reef (about $30 pp for 1.5 hours, including equipment). No parasailing or jet skis though.

They also have a nice beach bar and grill. Food is good and prices are reasonable. Try the jerk chicken wrap. I think they have recently added a basketbal hoop and ping pong table. Tennis is also available. Small grocery store on site too.

Some days, a local craftsman sets up to sell wood carvings, etc.

It is only about 15 minutes from Falmouth. But I can't help you with taxi fare.

We have rented a villa in Silver Sands 5 times. We absolutely love it. The beach is one of the nicest any where. Fairly shallow water and nice sandy bottom. The waves can get a bit fun if it is windy. Life guards are on duty during the day.

By "safe" I am assuming that you mean pushy vendors and crime... Yes, safe as can be. There is only one entrance and exit - it is guarded 24/7.

They do have some ammenities... Kayaking, boogie boards, etc. are available. Snorkeling from shore is fair. You can hire a local boat to take you out to the reef (about $30 pp for 1.5 hours, including equipment). No parasailing or jet skis though.

They also have a nice beach bar and grill. Food is good and prices are reasonable. Try the jerk chicken wrap. I think they have recently added a basketbal hoop and ping pong table. Tennis is also available. Small grocery store on site too.

Some days, a local craftsman sets up to sell wood carvings, etc.

It is only about 15 minutes from Falmouth. But I can't help you with taxi fare.

Great info. 😊

Is this area open to the public?

Just checked with them on their live Chat.

Obviously they charge 25$ for a day pass.

In that case we will probably stick to burwood beach.

I think the beach access is public, since it shows on maps as a public beach. The advantage over Burwood may be the bar/grill in case u get hungry or thirsty. I think we're dismissing Leon's Lobster by Burwood since most reviews said they were charged $30 per person.

I forget when you're going. We'll be there November 12th. One week after us, is it? If same day, maybe we can check it out together.

We´ll probably be there 2 weeks later.

Nothing I would expect, but should you consider to go there, I would certainly be grateful for your input regarding any potential access fee and your opinion on the beach experience there.

Thanks and have a great cruise.

We'll be in Jamaica Feb 2016 and checking out beaches to go to on our own that have decent amenities. Caribya dot com is a great site that gives info on locations in the Caribbean. If you input Falmouth on the opening page and scroll down to the beaches section, it give great info on all the beaches in the area including amenities, facilities, costs, distance from town, nearby attractions, food, etc. Great resource!

Sherri

Edited by Blondie70

We'll be in Jamaica Feb 2016 and checking out beaches to go to on our own that have decent amenities. Caribya dot com is a great site that gives info on locations in the Caribbean. If you input Falmouth on the opening page and scroll down to the beaches section, it give great info on all the beaches in the area including amenities, facilities, costs, distance from town, nearby attractions, food, etc. Great resource!

Sherri

Thank u so much!!!!! I've been trying to remember what that site is for the past few days.

• 3 weeks later...
Just checked with them on their live Chat.

Obviously they charge 25$ for a day pass.

In that case we will probably stick to burwood beach.

I just spoke with an agent via live chat. I told her we'd be on an upcoming cruise and asked about the day pass fee. She said a day pass was $10 a day, which includes all amenities. I inquired as to the $25 fee another person was quoted. She said cruise ship passengers are $10 a day and other guests (non cruisers) are $25 a day. :D