PG Raiatea Excursions

BethIRC

Can anyone advise me on excursions that were favored in Raiatea? The hiking to the waterfalls has caught my eye, but don't know how difficult it will be. I am not inclined to pack hiking boots!

I've heard from others that this excursion can be quite strenuous, especially if the weather is wet.

Of the PG tours, I like the outrigger river trip/4x4 trip around the island. Very interesting.

I also liked the circle island boat trip with snorkel, great snorkelling, but long boat ride--very pretty but long.

My husband also did the class sail, which he adored.

My husband and I went on the jungle hike excursion this past April while in port. It was quite an exertion for us-we're both in our early fifties and exercise regularly (my husband has also run marathons) , but the path was slippery and at two or three parts we needed to pull ourselves up ropes to continue the ascent.

The payoff was a beautiful waterfall at the top and a chance to hike through a beautiful forest. That said, I was so busy scrambling to keep up I didn't have much time to stop and take it all in. At one point I was sweating so much that sunscreen and mosquito repellant got into my eyes and I had great difficulty seeing without constantly swabbing my face. The path was very slick, and almost everyone on the excursion (save the guides in their flip flops!) slipped and fell at least once. I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again.

If you're up for a challenge, go for it. You'll be a bit sore the next day, but it might be the only calories you burn on the trip!

Thanks so much for the input. I now think we will pass! I heard back from Bruno and he is willing to do a half day tour if we can get 6 people. I think it will be less stressful!

Archived