Alla-tours

lakeswest

• 2 weeks later...

We booked a 2 day tour with Alla during our visit to St. Petersburg in 2013. Arrangements for transport and visits to places of interest could not have been better. Our guide Elena spoke perfect English (I think she was a lecturer in English), and her friendly, knowledgeable and professional manner made the tour a pleasure. With her guidance, our small group managed to avoid queues, giving us more time at each stop. We had two full, very rewarding days, and would definitely recommend Alla.

One odd thing that occurred was when payment for the tour was made on the morning of the second day. This was carried out at a credit card terminal in a large souvenir shop. We had no problem, but an American couple using American Express had payment refused. At the end of the day we had to wait while cash was brought from their ship. Visa and Mastercard seem to be the preferred options. Just thought this might avoid anyone having a problem.

Just booked tours of St Petersberg with Alla-tours, for visit on the new P&O ship Brittannia, in June

Hi lakeswest :D Are you on Britannia's B509 cruise (departing 30th May 2015). If so we have a big Roll Call with lots of info on this board that you may be interested in:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2020229

I'm also booked with Alla Tours but on a special one off tour :D

We used them. a couple of years ago with RCCL they were fantastic. When we arrived at a church which was being used, the hostess changed the itinery and we went by hydrofoil to the palace and bus back. We did not pay until the 2md day. We paid in Roubles by card and let the bank sort it out!!! We could not be bothered with pristine dollars. We never queued for entrance to anywhere. We left the coach parties standing in the queue and went on in. Even in the Amber museum we went in the back door !!!. Altogether a fraction of the price of the ships tours. We toured with 4 uk people (miserable) 2 Chinese American people and 2 Americans from Texas. We had a great time and I was the first off the ship and greeted with a smile and the rep was 20 feet away with the sign saying our name. Altogether WONDERFUL/

P&O's Two day Grand Tour by minibus which seems to be styled on Alla Tours has worked out to be slightly cheaper than the Alla Tours one so I've booked with them. P&O was £259 but I get 10% Peninsular discount whilst Alla Tours was $300 plus 15% tip.

heathcharnock when I convert your P&O Grand Tour price of £259 less 10% discount - approx £233 to USD I get approx $350USD which is around the same price (slightly more) as Alla's Grand Tour $300 USD plus 15% tip - approx $345 USD.

We have booked with Alla and are paying less than that amount but I cannot comment further on that as per CC rules because we have not taken our tour with them yet.

For those of us that don't have the Peninsular status to get the discount with P&O, other options may well prove to be cheaper (by a considerable amount for us anyway).

My understanding is that Alla's evening ballet option is cheaper than P&O's offering (we are not doing any of the evening excursions), but I think you have got a great deal from P&O for the "Folkloric" show.

Enjoy your time in St Petersburg. We can't wait to visit in a few weeks time :D

heathcharnock when I convert your P&O Grand Tour price of £259 less 10% discount - approx £233 to USD I get approx $350USD which is around the same price (slightly more) as Alla's Grand Tour $300 USD plus 15% tip - approx $345 USD.

Don't know if you are in Tasmania as per your profile but things might be different. Alla's price on their website is $300 but when I registered I got an email offering me a special price reduction offer of $25 off the "original price" of $325 so "reduced" to $300. I might be only an accountant but the maths of that beat me.

Also I know its only a few pounds but the Dollar / Pound Tourist exchange rate today is about $1.44 to £1.00. The pound is at its lowest against the dollar for years. At that rate my price converts to $335, effectively the prices are the same.

My wife is always more comfortable if she "stays with ship" and since the prices and trips appear to be similar there seemed to be no point trying to convince her,

We have mixed feelings about ST Petersburg but only because we went about 12 years ago and had an absolutely fabulous time in a fantastic sunshine.

We may not get that again but I'm sure we will enjoy it.

We went to the ballet last time and weren't going to do an evening trip but friends who went to the folklore last year said it was not one to miss.

P&O to the ballet is £74 -10% @1.44 = $95. Alla is "from" $100 + 15%

Again little different.

John

At today's business rate, $300 US is approximately £202! The 15% tip is recommended not compulsory. We discussed it with our fellow tourers, and we unanimously decided that 10% was adequate! Still a sizeable amount (£240 approx)!

Just booked tours of St Petersberg with Alla-tours, for visit on the new P&O ship Brittannia, in June

Hi Lakeswest,

We are also on this cruise,

we have a very active Roll Call on here. B509 BALTIC come over and have a look. A lot of us are doing KarenP's Bespoke Faberge 2 day tour with Alla.

Meets Greet details are also on as are other destinations. :)

Don't know if you are in Tasmania as per your profile but things might be different. Alla's price on their website is $300 but when I registered I got an email offering me a special price reduction offer of $25 off the "original price" of $325 so "reduced" to $300. I might be only an accountant but the maths of that beat me.

Also I know its only a few pounds but the Dollar / Pound Tourist exchange rate today is about $1.44 to £1.00. The pound is at its lowest against the dollar for years. At that rate my price converts to $335, effectively the prices are the same.

My wife is always more comfortable if she "stays with ship" and since the prices and trips appear to be similar there seemed to be no point trying to convince her,

We have mixed feelings about ST Petersburg but only because we went about 12 years ago and had an absolutely fabulous time in a fantastic sunshine.

We may not get that again but I'm sure we will enjoy it.

We went to the ballet last time and weren't going to do an evening trip but friends who went to the folklore last year said it was not one to miss.

P&O to the ballet is £74 -10% @1.44 = $95. Alla is "from" $100 + 15%

Again little different.

John

Thanks heathcharnock. I don't think things are different here in Tasmania, even though we're halfway across the world :D From my research into Alla Tours, which I started last year, my understanding was that the original price was that which you have stated and it was reduced to $300USD for 2014. Alla have kept that discount going this year.

When I google the Dollar/Pound tourist exchange rate it's coming up at around $1.47 to £1.00 in the UK at present but that's neither here nor there. My point was that the prices were very similar and that myself and others in our Roll Call are actually paying less than that. As Antmadmanda has said, the tips are not compulsory but discretionary and Alla Tours reminded me of that when I emailed them re currency for tips. I am planning to pay the recommended amount if the service is good and I think it will be. So the base price with Alla is actually cheaper in comparison and roughly the same with the 15% discretionary gratuity if you get the Peninsular discount. As stated in my previous post, if not eligible for the Peninsular discount (which of course you are) then Alla are significantly cheaper in my view. You would have more knowledge than me about tipping for P&O's shore excursions. I have no idea if it's expected for good service or not but I have left tips for your tour off the comparison. My understanding is that P&O do use a local tour operator.

We are not eligible for the Peninsular discount and to take P&O's similar shore excursion for St Petersburg that you have mentioned compared to the price we are paying with Alla tours (including 15% gratuity) would cost my husband and I an extra $150 (Australian). That's a significant saving for us and we are thrilled :D

In saying that, the offering from P&O suits both you and your wife and I can understand her wanting to "stay with ship". The Peninsular discount also makes the pricing far more attractive for those that are eligible. I am quietly confident we will all enjoy our excursions and I hope we all get that fantastic sunshine you experienced 12 years ago :D

No offence to our American cousins, but in my opinion, the recommended gratuity is usually for the benefit of the USA tourists. They know the Americans will pay it, because tipping is part of their culture. The tour was fantastic, but the whole party agreed that a £365 tip would have been way over the top!