Power plug adapters TIP

pbsteve

From what I've seen, some cabins have the 3 prong adapters, some don't. What seems to be the biggest issue is some have outlets that are NOT polarized. For those who don't know, the US power outlets are polarized where one of the flat prongs is wider than the other (why... who really knows). So I thought I'd dig back to where I used to work to show everyone these:

VCT-VP-7.jpg They will convert polarized to non polarized plugs so you can use them on the ships that have the old outlets. You can also buy at Ace the grounded (2 flat prongs one round) to non grounded (2 flat prongs only) and use it with the adapter.

While I will NEVER shop radioshack, they are available there, or at some hardware stores.

ALSO. Keep in mind laptops, cellphones, tablets, e-readers, most camera chargers, and most other electronics WILL work on the 220 outlet in the rooms with a simple plug adapter Check the sticker on ANY power adapter to see if it works on 220 as shown (the POWER SUPPLY MUST SHOW "input 100-240V" or you will destory it and possible cause a fire):

ac-adapter-voltage-560x420.jpgmotorola-power-adapter-label.jpgInput-Voltage-iPhone-4.jpg

This will allow you to use both outlets in cabins that have both the 110 and 220 outlets if you get an adapter like the following (DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE USE A US POWER STRIP OR SURGE PROTECTOR IN THE 220 OUTLET): 12pcs-font-b-US-b-font-to-font-b-EUROPE-b-font-AC110-250V-font-b.jpg

From what I've seen, some cabins have the 3 prong adapters, some don't. What seems to be the biggest issue is some have outlets that are NOT polarized. For those who don't know, the US power outlets are polarized where one of the flat prongs is wider than the other (why... who really knows). So I thought I'd dig back to where I used to work to show everyone these:

VCT-VP-7.jpg They will convert polarized to non polarized plugs so you can use them on the ships that have the old outlets. You can also buy at Ace the grounded (2 flat prongs one round) to non grounded (2 flat prongs only) and use it with the adapter.

I know why... (I sell electical supplies at an electrical wholesaler, it's my job - it's what I do...)

The larger prong is a bonded neutral connection... that means that (at the electrical distribution panel) the neutral connection is electrically bonded (connected) to the ground source.

This is done to give a level of redundancy to the grounding system and to add a level of protection to the users for the electrical appliances that get plugged in.

Three pronged devices are effectively grounded twice, once through the ground prong, and once through the neutral connection.

If you have a 2 pronged plug, one is larger so that you can not connect the line side to the (grounded) neutral side by mistake.

While on the ship, the adapters will be fine, since the ship is only "grounded" to the sea, and it is not a true grounded electrical system... but they should be avoided while on land, connected to a municipal electrical system, since you can accidentaly reverse the polarity and damage the connected equipment.

Archived