Layover time in Newark

sunlover5

Flying Contiental from Cleveland-Newark-onto SJ. We had a flight with a connecting time of only 31 mins. so Contiental changed our flights. For the change we have a layover of now 3 hours. Well our original flight has changed times with a layover of 1 hour and 10 mins. Get us into SJ about 4 hours earlier. Contiental will change us back for no fee, but before we do, we are thinking about weather, etc. and might be better having a 3 hour time slot to work with. Been watching the flights and they all go and land from the same terminal © so don't think that is a problelm, just wondering what anyone thinks who has flown out of Newark?? Never been to that airport. Thanks!!

I do EWR at least once a year. Doing Halifax-Newark-Miami. I'm coming in from Canada, and last time, my layover was 1 1/2 hr. I had to do customs. I had enough time. Got to my gate in just under an hour.

For a domestic flight, you should be just fine.

Joanne

Thanks everyone! DH said go for it, and I just got off the phone with Contiental and no problem--we now have the flight with just an hour and 10 min. layover. Be much better sitting in SJ for the extra 3 hours and not the airport. Thanks again!!

You won't have time to stop at starbucks or the newsstand, but you will be able to make it. Just take a look at the terminal map of EWR in the back of the in-flight magazine when they're giving arrival & connecting gate information so you know where to go. Hopefully you'll luck out and have it at a neighboring gate.

Just remember, just as often a flight is a few minutes late, it can just as well be a few minutes early.

But in that off-chance you do miss the EWR-SJU leg, it does look like CO has 3 other flights that day (and more if you do a long diversion through IAH).

Thank you, I did look at the terminal in the website. Usually when I check the flight it is early like you said. Open seats on the 12:15 flight out like you said, so not going to sweat it. I rather try for the connection instead of sitting in EWR for 3 hours. Thank you again!!! P.S. Going 3 days early to, so that eases the mind!

Which airport are you flying in from? I ask because flights from Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, & Washington DC operate from Terminal A, requiring you to take an airside shuttle bus to connect to Terminal C where all other flights happen.

If this is the case, 51 minutes is cutting it mighty mighty close.

However if this is not the case, 51 minutes should be fine, although on the close side. Just know though that you won't have any time to dawdle in the airport in between flights.

T--we now have the flight with just an hour and 10 min. layover.

Just be sure to pack a few 'essentials' in your carry on, incase for some reayson you are late getting into EWR, and have to run to your connection... Sometimes the luggage doesn't 'run' as fast as you!!;)

Customs/Immigration in Terminal C at EWR are typically pretty efficient. The big variable is how many other international flights are arriving at the same time as yours. The one thing you will need to do though is to clear security for your connecting domestic flight.

If everything is running smoothly 2 hours may be fine, but if you'd like to have to not worry about anything I might take the later flight to give you more time in between flights.

For your SDF-EWR flight, the 51 minute lay-over should be fine ASSUMING no delays due to weather or the like at SDF. If there are delays at EWR, it'll most likely affect both incoming & outgoing flights.

Archived