Diving Curacao

CaribQween

We'll be visiting Curacao this November on the Emerald Princess. We've seen a lot of recommendations for The Dive Bus for an independent dive op. However, from looking at their website it seems that they only do guided shore diving. Does anyone have any recommendations for dive operations on Curacao that do boat diving? Also, does anyone recommend one type of diving over the other in Curacao (boat versus shore)? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't answer your question about boat diving but just wanted to give you a quick opinion on The Dive Bus. Their "house reef" is amazing and is only a 5 minute swim from the dive shop. I did two dives from there a couple years ago and they were as good as (or better than) any boat dives I've ever done. Also, since you don't have to deal with a boat to and from the dive sites, you'll have more time to do another dive or to enjoy some other parts of the island while you're there.

I can't answer your question about boat diving but just wanted to give you a quick opinion on The Dive Bus. Their "house reef" is amazing and is only a 5 minute swim from the dive shop. I did two dives from there a couple years ago and they were as good as (or better than) any boat dives I've ever done. Also, since you don't have to deal with a boat to and from the dive sites, you'll have more time to do another dive or to enjoy some other parts of the island while you're there.

This is great to hear. My DH is signed up with them for September. I'll be going with him but plan to stay on the beach or snorkel. Any suggestions or comments about their beach?

The snorkeling is quite good there. You can snorkel on your own and that is absolutely free or they offer guided snorkel tours.

We are both divers so we have no personal experience with the snorkel tours however several posters in previous threads commented about how much the yenjoyed the guided snorkeling.

Marc and Suzy are two of the funniest and two of the wackiest people around. I would never pass up the opportunity to go diving or snorkeling with them.

:):D:)

I couldn't agree with Pilot more! Mark and Suzy are wonderful people. The house reef is very good, saw my first frogfish there. We went to 2 other locations with Mark which were also good. Tugboat would be great for snorkeling as the sunken boat is very close to shore and only in about 15-20 ft of water.

Thanks...That's not too bad....

Do they ONLY do shore dives??? It sounds like it. We've never done shore diving. Only done boat dives.

A shore dive can be easier than an even slightly rough boat dive.. that rocking boat as you climb up the ladder can be treacherous... then again, if the surf is up, which it never is they will tell you ( right Jim!?!), it can be an adventure getting out... lol

I think a shore dive is easier... it is you and your party, you get there, you gear up and in you go, more action and less ride...

Of course that is all said with a "conditions being equal" caveat.

Boat dives in Curacao are hard to find that fit into a cruise time table.

I am going to suggest you do something totally off the mark. Go to the Seaquarium and do the animal feeding dive. I had a knee replaced in Feb of 2008 and when we were cruising on HAL last Oct I promised my wife, no dives this time out. Well, we got on the ship and they had added that as an excursion, she saw the look on my face and said "Go ahead, just don't get eaten."

You dive right at the Seaquarium, in the bigger cove, its about 4 steps down to the water and they are more than ready to help you. You feed the rays as they surround you and you feed the sharks (Nurse and Lemon) and turtles through holes in the plexiglass at their enclosures. Outside of my very first open water dive, it was the most fun I have had in the water with my clothes on.

2914807190015885847S425x425Q85.jpg

My pics are here...

http://travel.webshots.com/album/575373260jlCygp?start=36

Mike

Thanks for the tip. The knee is doing really well just haven't walked with that much extra weight on so a little intimidation.

We'll have to see closer to time. At sail away it will have been 2 years since the replacement and 1 since the reconstruction. I expect them both to be much stronger.

I had one knee replaced last year and the other reconstructed this year. I would like to know how far one has to "walk" with lead, tank, etc for the shore diving there?
I'd bet you'd be able to get help carrying the gear into the water, so you'd likely only have to walk a few feet geared up before you could float.

I had one knee replaced last year and the other reconstructed this year. I would like to know how far one has to "walk" with lead, tank, etc for the shore diving there?

Mark or your dive master will be more than happy to get your gear into the water for you if you need some help. Their house reef is fabulous, and Mark & Suzy and the crew are a complete blast. Add great food and cold beer right there, and it's our idea of the perfect paradise.

When I tell Keith that I'm scheduling a cruise he only has one question: "Are we going to Curacao?" It's that good. We're going to be there in October, and at the end of February. I think we've been there 8 times or so already.

Here's the page on cruise divers. http://www.the-dive-bus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=438&Itemid=476

Just be careful - Suzy takes blackmail photos and posts them on their website. http://www.the-dive-bus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=574&Itemid=161

Someday, we're going to get down there for a week if I can ever find an airfare we can afford. I'm just afraid that we wouldn't come back home again.

Have a wonderful time!

Wendy

dive pix

http://community.webshots.com/user/wendyandkeith

It' really something how everyone recommends the Dive Bus. We asked the same question at our local dive shop and they said, "The Dive Bus with Mark and Suzy".

Their website area for cruise passengers shows the two dive sites as Pierbaii reef and Car Pile. Can anyone tell me about Car Pile such as whether its a good dive site? Honestly, a car pile sounds kind of strange especially for a place like Curacao. It also says that Car Pile is for advanced/experienced divers only because it is at 30 meters. Does anyone know if they offer any other guided dives? We'd definitely like Pierbaii reef, we're just not sure about doing Car Pile.

The Dive Bus is definitely a good place to go diving. I agree with everything said here so far. I was there as a solo diver. They got a dive master to take me out. At the time I brought full foot fins. That is the only thing I regret. The walk into the bay is only a few feet. I walked in bare foot and put my fins on once I was in the water. There were a few rocks on the walk in. I would have been happier if I was wearing my cold water dive boots and open heel fins.

Some tips, negoitate the price of the cab before you get in the cab. Both going to the site and getting back to the ship. Bring cash, the credit card machine was a little flakey when I was there. Bring some extra cash for fish, chips and a beer. The restaurant attached to the dive shop has a really nice fish and chips.

Their website area for cruise passengers shows the two dive sites as Pierbaii reef and Car Pile. Can anyone tell me about Car Pile such as whether its a good dive site? Honestly, a car pile sounds kind of strange especially for a place like Curacao. It also says that Car Pile is for advanced/experienced divers only because it is at 30 meters. Does anyone know if they offer any other guided dives? We'd definitely like Pierbaii reef, we're just not sure about doing Car Pile.

We have been there many times, and still haven't made it down to Car Pile yet. Just let them know that you would prefer to stay shallower, and that will be no problem. It's relaxed and easy!

Have a wonderful time!

Wendy

Archived