Photography Go Pro camara

mrscarnival

Has anyone used one of the Go Pro Hero or HD cameras underwater? If so, what mount did you use? Happy with the results? Any recommendations?

Just got my open water certification and will have my first ocean dive in about a month. Don't really want to struggle with taken photos and keeping neutral buoyancy. Appreciate any comments.

Thanks

My husband used the wrist mount. It's a bit tricky because he didn't have a view-finder so he wasn't sure what he was shooting. Also, there is a lot of velcro noise! But, he did end up getting some great stuff. He was going to try the head mount but read that you get a lot of photos of bubbles.:)

I used the Go Pro Hero for two weeks in HI. I had the same problems mentioned here. While snorkling with the head mount I took a lot of surface and just below shots (with alot of bubble noise, made the wife need to pee while watching it:)). I wrapped the strap around my wrist and held the camera in front of me for the rest of the trip, took some great shots. Not always sure exactly what I was pointing at but made sure to pan lots and I got what I was after. It takes great video outside the water too. All in all we are very happy with all the video we took but a big dwaw back is the lack of viewing screen. I recently purchased a Panasonic DMC-TS3. Haven't used it snorkling yet but if the underwater shots come out at least half as good as the out of water, it should be awesome.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking forward to using my GoPro Hero 2. I've got the dive case and I plan on using my monopod as an extension pole. Two of my other friends also have GoPros (including a Hero 3). I will be sure to post up my results after my cruise.:D

• 4 weeks later...

I would highly recommend you don't bring a camera with you for awhile. Video, still of otherwise. There is a lot to deal with as a new diver and diving with gadget is going to take your attention off things that are going to keep you alive.

That said, the video I've seen off a hero 2 (with dive case) underwater looks pretty nice. The hero 3 silver edition is the new version of the same camera, but the included cases will work for diving.

• 1 month later...

I've been using an original GoPro Hero with Eye-Of-Mine flat lens adapter for three dive trips over two years. For me, it's the cat's meow. I don't like carrying a big, heavy camera unit all the time, so I then leave it on the boat, invariably missing that shot of a lifetime. With the GoPro, I just clip it to my BC with a double clip (one to secure it, one on a piece of stretch cord for when I'm shooting). That way, it's out of the way and forgotten about when I just want to dive and enjoy it, but readily available if I want to get a shot of that big creature that just showed up.

I tried the head mount, but I couldn't tell when the camera was on (I don't hear so good underwater, I guess). Clipping it to my BC and just holding it in my hand is the way to go. You don't have a viewfinder, so you have to get used to ballpark aiming it, and I've had a couple videos where the subject was half off the edge of the shot, but mostly this is not a problem.

I also take a small LED dive light with me all the time, in case I want to shoot something hiding back in a hole. Hold the light in one hand and the camera in the other.

I would highly recommend you don't bring a camera with you for awhile. Video, still of otherwise. There is a lot to deal with as a new diver and diving with gadget is going to take your attention off things that are going to keep you alive.

This. 1st open water dive isn't the time/place for a camera.

Archived