Anyone been in Volendam Cabin 6215

namaste859

This is my first time to book a trip on a cruise and we are going to Alaska on HAL's Y1-T cruisetour. We will be aboard the Volendam for four nights and I'm trying to find a good cabin. Currently, we are booked in I-7071 on the Navigation deck, which I chose because of the location and service. However, I am also looking at 6215 in the Veranda deck. From looking at the map, it is all by itself, surrounded by...space...The configuration looks weird too. Has anyone been in either of these rooms and can give some feedback? Thanks.

The I cabins on the Navigation deck are HUGE and really a bargain for the cost. You can walk aft and right out the back door to a little known, little used public deck w/lounge chairs, benches, and a wonderful aft view. Its like having a verandah without the cost! Just one flight of steps up from that "secret" deck is the aft Lido pool, the Sea View Bar and steps into the Lido Restaurant. We sailed in an oceanview cabin on the sister ship, Amsterdam, to Alaska - and our window looked out over this secret deck. Literally five steps out our door to what we ended up using as our balcony - and for much less $$$!!! It was great! The cabin number on the Volendam is 7086, so check that out on the deck plans and see if you can swing that cabin instead of the inside. You'll lose a bit of space because it is configured different than those insides on the Navigation deck, but like I said, the quick and ready access to the outdoors is fantastic and a real bonus when sailing in Alaska. Nothing like those wake views!;)

Sorry, can't help you with the cabin on the Verandah deck, but I do know that there is another "secret" deck on the aft of that floor as well. The difference is that the super structure of the ship blocks your aft views when seated on the Verandah deck, as opposed to the open railing on the secret aft deck of the Navigation deck.

Good luck! And enjoy Alaska - it is amazing!

PS - have you checked the photos on the HAL board - its a "sticky" at the top of the page of photos from passengers on each and every HAL ship, compiled by one of the regular HAL travelers, Joanie. She's done an excellent job and there are many, many photos of all types of cabins on each ship. If the two specific cabins you mentioned on the Volendam don't have photos on that site, check the sister ship, Amsterdam, and maybe you can see photos of very similar cabins.

Assateague Island Princess: Thank you for your helpful comments. I tried to book 7086 and it is already booked (14 months in advance!). But 7071 is an interior cabin that is right across from these cabins. I chose this deck for the same reasons that you mentioned, a fairly private viewing deck almost right outside the door. Also, just a flight up to the Lido deck.

However, I started to have second thoughts when I found a couple of photos of the Volendam aft. This first photo is a fairly good image that you can enlarge if you click on the photo: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Volendam/fqtvguy__4992.jpg. You will notice that the Navigation deck does not have deck chairs.

This photo, I believe, is of this deck. http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Volendam/Haligonian37_IMG_0824.jpg . The only seats look like hard wooden benches, which would not be comfortable if you sat for any length of time. So, I thought...what about the Veranda deck, which has a larger deck, as you can see from the first photo. That is when I discovered 6215, a cabin all by itself that is very odd. I have not been able to find any comments or photos of this cabin, even on the website you mentioned. I'm sort of surprised, since it is an unusual cabin and I would think that people would be asking about it.

That being said, I did not change and kept 7071 on Navigation deck. I figured, if the deck doesn't have any deck chairs, I can always go down a floor. But, I am still curious about this Veranda deck 6215.

I wonder what year those phots were taken, do you know? In both 2010 and 2011, the Volendam was in Juneau when were were on the Amsterdam - we were docked aft to aft. We looked directly across to the Volemdam's Navigation deck, and there WERE lounge chairs - w/several extras stacked on either side that you could take down and use. If there are not on your sailing, just ask one of the crew members on the aft of the Lido to bring a couple down for you - they will, and gladly. We wanted some upright chairs for people who had difficulty getting out of the loungers, and the staff was happy to comply.

I think you made a good decision sticking with the very large inside on the Navigation deck. I'm intriqued by that cabin you mentioned on the Verandah deck though and I'm going to keep looking to see if I hear anything more about it.

Enjoy your sailing to the Great Land!

Archived