Experience cruising with 2 ASD teens?

caracol

Hi, taking my DD 17 with NVLD and DS 15 with Aspergers on their first cruise in December. Anything I should be aware of? Both are very high functioning but have their little quirks :rolleyes:

I want them to have some freedom as I am usually way too over protective. We booked them their own cabin adjacent to ours and have told them that they can do what ever they like as long as they stay together and meet us for dinner. I will go insane not knowing where they are but I am hoping that this will help them enjoy the cruise more.

My daughter has a hard time with directions and is sure to be lost half the time, our cabins are on the Lido so that should help, planning on decorating the door to assist them finding there cabin OK. Any other suggestions?

Both have social anxiety, anyone have experience with the O2 club, should I give the counsellors a heads up?

Also wondering about the MDR. Waitlisted for anytime dining and confirmed for late service. Is it appropriate to contact the Special Needs Dept in CCL and explain that the kids are ASD and we may have a problem getting them to dinner at a certain time and see if we can get YTD? My son will be fine but DD has issues with being on time for anything. If that's not possible, then to request a 4 top at late sitting so that the kids are more comfortable? Dining with strangers will not go over well.

Thanks

I understand wanting to give your children some freedom, but it sounds like maybe they are not quite ready to just let them roam? My DS has Aspergers also and I try to give him freedom by sending him off with his cousin or to the club to play video games. I don't think that he would be able to handle having the run of the ship and would spend most of his time in a state of anxiety and so would I. Please remember that just becouse you are on vacation does not mean that other people will understand your childs "quirks" or anxiety or even be willing to help them find their way back to the cabin or dining room. perhaps smaller doses of freedom are better. CC member LHP has an extensive history of cruising with her DS and could probably be able to help you find resourses so you and your kids have a great cruise. Good Luck.

I understand wanting to give your children some freedom, but it sounds like maybe they are not quite ready to just let them roam? My DS has Aspergers also and I try to give him freedom by sending him off with his cousin or to the club to play video games. I don't think that he would be able to handle having the run of the ship and would spend most of his time in a state of anxiety and so would I. Please remember that just becouse you are on vacation does not mean that other people will understand your childs "quirks" or anxiety or even be willing to help them find their way back to the cabin or dining room. perhaps smaller doses of freedom are better. CC member LHP has an extensive history of cruising with her DS and could probably be able to help you find resourses so you and your kids have a great cruise. Good Luck.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments but I do think the kids can be trusted on their own. How old is your son by the way?

My kids have no visible quirks that would be apparent to someone walking by, and as long as they stick together there will be no issue. They are both in IB classes at high school and travel around with their small circle of friends on their own. I just worry a lot! If they get lost, I am sure they will have no problem getting a staff member to help them find their way back, heck, I have had to have help on more than one occassion :)

Thanks, I appreciate your comments but I do think the kids can be trusted on their own. How old is your son by the way?

My kids have no visible quirks that would be apparent to someone walking by, and as long as they stick together there will be no issue. They are both in IB classes at high school and travel around with their small circle of friends on their own. I just worry a lot! If they get lost, I am sure they will have no problem getting a staff member to help them find their way back, heck, I have had to have help on more than one occassion :)

I hope you did not take my comment the wrong way, I guess I tend toward cautious becouse it sounds like my DS (18yo) tends to be more timid and need a little more supervision than your children. That said, I would still make sure you let everyone who comes in regular contact with your kids know their issues. also, do you think they may need a "cheat sheet" I list my DS name, DX, RX, phone #'s (perhaps cabin #) and any other info that someone could need if he was in distress and put it in his pocket. your kids may only need a ship plan that you can highlight your cabin. how about a wristwatch with an alarm? you could list what time they need to be at a certain place and set the timers to remind them to look. I hope you all have a terrific cruise!

nope, not at all..totally understand where you are coming from :) It's hard to get the right tonal inflection when writing. When in doubt I read with a big smile on my face, can make a huge difference in interpretation. :cool:

Great ideas on the notes, at least names and cabin numbers. They tend to get upset if I am toooo obvious about things. DH & I also plan to highlight activities we plan on doing in the tear off in the Fun Times so they will know where to find us.

How did your DS make out at Club O2, that's what worries me most. They will be fine together but I would like them to try and be a little social with others their own age.

My DS only went to o2 for a "visit" as there appeared to be no other kids on the cruise his age. It was late November and almost no kids on ship at all. We cruised with our large family and mostly the kids hung together. My DS also has mild CP and uses a wheelchair most of the time so he has to have someone around him all the time. I am hoping on our upcoming (3 days!) cruise he can spend lots of time with his cousin who is only 17 months older and very good with him. I also hope he can spend some time playing video games with some other kids and maybe make friends. He does have some quirks that mostly involve things that frighten him, so I always make sure someone is near by. You are so right about how hard it is to set a "tone" with a keyboard! I have made innocent comments that people soooo take the wrong way! I would never try to be hurtful to anyone.

Hi, taking my DD 17 with NVLD and DS 15 with Aspergers on their first cruise in December. Anything I should be aware of? Both are very high functioning but have their little quirks :rolleyes:

I want them to have some freedom as I am usually way too over protective. We booked them their own cabin adjacent to ours and have told them that they can do what ever they like as long as they stay together and meet us for dinner. I will go insane not knowing where they are but I am hoping that this will help them enjoy the cruise more.

My daughter has a hard time with directions and is sure to be lost half the time, our cabins are on the Lido so that should help, planning on decorating the door to assist them finding there cabin OK. Any other suggestions?

Both have social anxiety, anyone have experience with the O2 club, should I give the counsellors a heads up?

Also wondering about the MDR. Waitlisted for anytime dining and confirmed for late service. Is it appropriate to contact the Special Needs Dept in CCL and explain that the kids are ASD and we may have a problem getting them to dinner at a certain time and see if we can get YTD? My son will be fine but DD has issues with being on time for anything. If that's not possible, then to request a 4 top at late sitting so that the kids are more comfortable? Dining with strangers will not go over well.

Thanks

One way to get YTD is to, on the first day, go to the dining room (usually a time is posted in the cruise newsletter) and meet with the maitre'D to request it. Explain your unique situation, and I suspect he'll work as hard as he can to accommodate you.

I wonder if it is possible for you to "tail" your kids for the first day...let them go off and then follow, as discretely as possible, and just see how they do? Be close enough to step in if they really get into difficulty, but stay as far back as possible and let them go. Maybe it'll be fine, and you'll both be comforted...maybe it won't work so well but you'll know what you have to do then.

One way to get YTD is to, on the first day, go to the dining room (usually a time is posted in the cruise newsletter) and meet with the maitre'D to request it. Explain your unique situation, and I suspect he'll work as hard as he can to accommodate you.

I wonder if it is possible for you to "tail" your kids for the first day...let them go off and then follow, as discretely as possible, and just see how they do? Be close enough to step in if they really get into difficulty, but stay as far back as possible and let them go. Maybe it'll be fine, and you'll both be comforted...maybe it won't work so well but you'll know what you have to do then.

Thanks for the M'd tip! The second part...well I would never do something like that :rolleyes: :D (my husband is humming the Mission Impossible theme now LOL)

I just thought of something, I know a lot of people don't like them, but how bout walkie talkies? you can get them that buzz so they don't bother others, or just arrange to turn them on, on the hour to check in. Might be the easiest way to check up and give reminders. As for making friends, Kids have a way of doing that when they are all new to a situation, no Clique to have to fit into.

Hello, we also cruise with our DD (16) who has ASD. We rely on the walkie talkies a lot, but you have to keep in mind that they dont work everywhere. There are some areas on the ship where you (or they) will have no receptions. :eek: I am also a worrier, so she does not get a run of the ship. But also, since she has a tough time making new friends, she spends a lot of time with us. She did go to the club twice, but said its not her scene.:rolleyes: You are the one who knows your kids the best. Do (and let them do) what you are comfortable with. If you are stressed because you dont know where they are, than nobody will have a good time.:cool: Best of luck.

thanks for the advice on the walkie talkies - we did use them years ago at Disney, have to see if I can dig them out.

As long as they stay together, I'll worry but not panic. Hopefully they will get along for 7 days and enjoy themselves. Fingers Crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the teen clubs quite often when I was younger, and from what you describe, they are not going to do well there. Telling the counselors, and thereby singling them out as "different" from the others, will only make it worse.

I really don't want to disappoint you, and I don't want to go into specifics as to why because sometimes there just isn't a kind way to say things, but I don't want you to get your hopes up... and more importantly, I don't want your kids to feel alienated and uncomfortable.

your all so lucky to be able to get your kids on the ship! My DS who is now 22 with high funtioning autism, absolutely refuses to get on a ship. He does not like large bodies of water for no explainable reason. I did get him swimming the year he was 16 because he wanted to be baptised. So he started new meds that year and for some reason he really wanted to do this and he did. But I have not been able to get him back into the lake water since.

Good advice has already been given so I don't have anything to add other than just my envy.:oHave a great cruise!:D

My son is 16 1/2 with HFA, he's been on many ships with us, the last one being the Oasis in Aug. He went to the teen club, I always tell the counselors a bit about him and that he's not as socially mature as teens his age. He made out fine at the club, found a small group of kids who went a lot and they hung out. Also, he loved the club at night, dancing.

Archived