Shipmate Deserters

Anthony63

Ok i will continue the tipping on here. First if all it is a mute point RC automatically adds tips onto your seapass per day unless you prepaid the tips. So you can ask the steward to keep your ice bucket filled could you also ask for them to put a cheese platter in your room. Or something along those lines. I am looking forward to having a glass of wine and cheese on the balcony in the evening before dinner. I could understand tipping the steward if they could do that.

I've never been this stressed before a cruise! I'm having to do all the packing and pre-cruise stuff myself this time, as the DH will be out of town on work till a week before the cruise. I know I'm going to forget something! Maybe I'm just to excited with a month to go lol.

Ok i will continue the tipping on here. First if all it is a mute point RC automatically adds tips onto your seapass per day unless you prepaid the tips. So you can ask the steward to keep your ice bucket filled could you also ask for them to put a cheese platter in your room. Or something along those lines. I am looking forward to having a glass of wine and cheese on the balcony in the evening before dinner. I could understand tipping the steward if they could do that.

That would be tipping room service lol, but seriously that does sound nice to have right before dinner! Although if your really not happy with your stewards service you can go to the customer service desk and ask for the charge to be reduced or taken off for the day the service was not up to par. We have never had an issue with service. and even tip $10-$20 extra at the end of the cruise.

Well i guess it will be one of those things i just don't understand. But maybe i need to check it out. Bill said he took a nap and they made the bed back up maybe i just need to pay attention to the service. Besides just thinking of them as maids. Or to be pc environment re-conditioning professionals. :cool:

Well i guess it will be one of those things i just don't understand. But maybe i need to check it out. Bill said he took a nap and they made the bed back up maybe i just need to pay attention to the service. Besides just thinking of them as maids. Or to be pc environment re-conditioning professionals. :cool:

Or perhaps domestication engineers?:rolleyes:

What is $10 or $20 to me is a lot more to the room stewards and their families! We 'overtip' them more than any other crew member.

Finally found the tread! Amy here :)

Hi Amy!

Hey look at it this way...if it was your hubby having to pack for YOU, how much stuff do you think he'd forget! :eek:

So think of that when you're doing your packing and don't sweat the small stuff.

Swimsuits? Check!

Flip-flops? Check!

2 bottles of wine? Check and check!

See??? Easy! :p:p:p

hey guys i found you i dont know how this works. its debbie

Hey Debbie! Well you posted so it's working! You can add this thread to your 'subscribed' threads and that way you can just click the little arrow thingy next to the thread to get to the last post. It's a little archaic but it works. Better than Shipmate chat anyway!

Anthony, this was a GREAT idea you had, creating this thread!!

Or perhaps domestication engineers?:rolleyes:

What is $10 or $20 to me is a lot more to the room stewards and their families!.

Oh i understand i guess i just have not seen or needed to use the going above and beyond in the steward department. The room was clean the towel critter was nice but that's it. Except for the towel critter its what i get at a hotel. But i guess i am like others just charge me the price and pay a fair salary and let me tip the way i want... Personally i don't go to restaurants that have a mandatory tip added. I tip starting at 15% and go up or down from there. And if they stick a mandatory tip on it i wonder about the service. But hey its all good.

OK last post because I still have dinner dishes soaking in the sink!

I spoke to my travel agent re: Quantum of the Seas today. What I was trying to ask on Shipmate chat is, Is the Quantum going to ONLY sail out of New Jersey? Some ships 'winter' in one port and 'summer' in others.

He said it will be permanently in NJ, at least for the foreseeable future. From NJ to Bermuda is a little too cold for this Florida girl (and family) in November when it makes its first sailing! So unfortunately we are going to have to pass up the inaugural sailing.

However, my TA seems to think that Anthem of the Seas (debuting in 2015) will be Florida-based since NCL has the Breakaway coming this month (based in NY/NJ) and will have the Getaway based in MIA next year (I think). So RCL responds with their own NJ/FL-based ships. Makes sense... We may do Quantum when it's warmer--I REALLY want to check it out!! Also got an email re: the Nextcruise program from my TA. If anyone needs it, I can fwd via email.

I think we're going to be putting down a future-cruise deposit while onboard Oasis!!

I am going to see if the steward can arrange to have a cheese platter in the room it doesn't hurt to ask. Of course i will ask while shaking his hand with a twenty in it.:cool:

I'm going to try that and see if it'll work in June too, but I expect a lot of smiling and apologizing from the steward!!

Maybe ask Teddy or Charles to try it...they don't seem to want to jump over to the 'dark side' aka CC!

Hi Amy!

Hey look at it this way...if it was your hubby having to pack for YOU, how much stuff do you think he'd forget! :eek:

So think of that when you're doing your packing and don't sweat the small stuff.

Swimsuits? Check!

Flip-flops? Check!

2 bottles of wine? Check and check!

See??? Easy! :p:p:p

I am so far from my sail date but we have already started a box we put stuff in it as we think about it that we need. Ziplock bags"for scuba" ductape for drawers that don't want to stay closed.

Oh i understand i guess i just have not seen or needed to use the going above and beyond in the steward department. The room was clean the towel critter was nice but that's it. Except for the towel critter its what i get at a hotel. But i guess i am like others just charge me the price and pay a fair salary and let me tip the way i want... Personally i don't go to restaurants that have a mandatory tip added. I tip starting at 15% and go up or down from there. And if they stick a mandatory tip on it i wonder about the service. But hey its all good.

OK really, last post! LOL. You can *always* go to the...what do they call it onboard?...purser? Front desk? And ask them to please remove the gratuity, you will be paying the gratuities directly to the crew. They will probably even have envelopes for you to divvy up the tips in by crew member. I could be wrong here, b/c every cruise line is different and we've cruised 3 others... someone stop me if I *am* wrong... but that might be the better way if the 'pre-added' gratuities don't sit well with you.

I am so over the tip thing. It just bothers me on the steward. but i do sort of understand it. sort of.... but RC has now added it so that if you do not prepay they add 12.00 to your seapass account each day. so if you dont want to pay it you have to take steps not to. I also under stand that move because they were getting stiffed a lot. but they should just add it to the price of the ticket and then advertise that there are no hidden cost. any ways its all good

OK last post because I still have dinner dishes soaking in the sink!

I spoke to my travel agent re: Quantum of the Seas today. What I was trying to ask on Shipmate chat is, Is the Quantum going to ONLY sail out of New Jersey? Some ships 'winter' in one port and 'summer' in others.

He said it will be permanently in NJ, at least for the foreseeable future.

Well think about it now they can get the money that people for NY NJ would pay for a plane ticket. it will really boost their sales because it will not take long to sail from up there down the coast.

I'm going to try that and see if it'll work in June too, but I expect a lot of smiling and apologizing from the steward!!

Maybe ask Teddy or Charles to try it...they don't seem to want to jump over to the 'dark side' aka CC!

It is always worth a try once:D but i don't see what the problem would be. the steward could just make arrangement with room service to have a plate in your room by 4:00 room service brings it up the steward puts it in your room easy peasy:cool:

That would be tipping room service lol, but seriously that does sound nice to have right before dinner!

Yes a nice glass or two of wine and a cheese platter with maybe some cold-cuts and crackers or some hard rolls would be great before dinner out on the balcony looking into CP. not to much because i have a standing order for 2 shrimp cocktails in the MDR