Power Chair or Scooter

belladeboo

Hi everyone,

I just love this site and the help everyone gives to each other.

I have one question, at home I use a power chair, I have never used a scooter but thought about renting one for this cruise. Is it hard to maneuver around the ship? Are should I stick with the power chair? I will be renting one cause I don’t trust the airlines to get my power chair there in one piece. I can walk very short distance, I have MS. But thought it would be hard to maneuver a scooter at the dining area. My power chair was able to go right up to the table and they would remove the chair for me. Would love any feed back.

Thanks

Vickie

Vickie,

Since you are used to and comfortable with your powerchair I would stick with it...you will be more comfortable with a power chair in the dining room...the scooters are much for difficult to use table side.

If you chose a scooter and you can walk to your table and sit in a regular dining chair, the waiter will park your scooter nearby and bring the key to you...he will do the reverse when you are thur eating. I have found that the waiters love using the scooters.

A scooter handles very differently than a power chair and does take some practice, especially getting on and off the elevator and in your cabin.

I would stay with what you know, your chair. And I agree, I do not trust the airlines to transport my scooter safely, so I rent a scooter and take my manual w/c. I am an amputee so I need both when I cruise.

Have a wonderful cruise whatever you choose.

Arlene

Here's a recent discussion of the pros and cons of a scooter. http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1544198

One of the issues to think about is whether you will have any tender ports on your voyage. Most (but not all) lines will not be able to get a power chair on a tender, but if you can walk a few steps to step aboard then one of the small scooters that will break down into pieces can follow you.

Whichever option you choose, make sure to contact the line well in advance and ask for a table assignment near the door, so that you don't have as much fuss getting to your seat. This is particularly important if taking a power chair. Waiters seem pretty competent with a scooter, but because there are so many different varieties of power chair they may not be so good at dealing with it.

For us, maneuvering in the dining room is easy. Both Ruth and I use our scooters and drive right to the table. We transfer to chairs and the waiters park our scooters. If there is a parking space nearby the table, I will sometimes park my scooter and walk to the table. Actually, a table further into the dining room is the best; or at least away from the traffic. Ruth needs assistance to transfer to and from the chair and it easier when there is less congestion... And the hot-rodders enjoy parking the scooters.

We both have a small scooter and crew members will just lift the scooter onto the tenders. Again, Ruth requires assistance. Carnival has a negative attitude about scooters (in any aspect) being transported on tenders.

Betty

th_bigbiker.gif

I can't walk at all. I have flown my powerchair at least 3 times a year for 20 plus years and have never had a problem. You just have to prepare it for flight. Take the joy stick and foot pegs off if you can and bringthem on board. I also bring a manual chair for use in the room and to transfer into cabs and go on tours. I traval with as many as 5 or 6 in power chairs and they have had the same success.

I'd also vote for the power chair. They are much more maneuverable than a scooter. I also have MS and use a manual chair at home, but always rent a power chair for use on the ship. I can get into bathrooms with it (and bypass the row of scooters left outside the door!), and have no trouble in the dining room getting to my seat. I generally just stay in the chair for meals -- they'l whisk away the chair and make room for me quickly.

Tenders are always a problem, though. I generally just stay on the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Special needs @ sea will rent a power chair to you and deliver it directly to your stateroom if you already use a power chair. Otherwise they will rent a scooter. (954-585-0575) I have not used them before but was referred to them. You can google them and check out their web page as well. In fact if any one here has used them I would appreciate feed back or referrals as well :).

The last (different) rental company I used did not work out well, I had problems with the battery losing its charge quickly, it would die and leave me stranded.:mad:

At least my manuel is easy for someone to push... all that carpet does a number on my already worn out shoulders.

Archived