Nome road trip / hotspring question...

katmai

I'll be visiting Nome for a day and a night by ourselves on 5/29 prior to my Alaska cruise.

I'd like to ask some questions and hopefully people who have done road trip in Nome can give me some advice.

I'll rent an 4WD SUV to drive on the local unpaved roads.

I know there are 3 roads and 70~80 miles long each.

Since I only have a full 24 hours to enjoy the road trip besides touring the town itself, which one (or two) should I choose based on the season and timing?

Nome-Teller road, Nome-Taylor road, Nome-Council road?

I'm currently targeting on Nome-Council road because this one traverse the Iditarod trail along the coast for 50 miles or so, and I can do some birding along the safety lagoon and visit the "last train to nowhere".

I plan to drive on this road to at most the half way point and spend 4~8 hours.

Does this sound like a good plan?

If I have enough energy to tour as much as I can before the 1AM sunset of the midnight sun, is it worth it if I also drive up the Nome-Taylor road and branch off to the Pilgrim hot spring?

Has anyone been to this hotspring? Is it still available to use? How?

Finally, I heard that Anvil Mountail drive is very scenic, but I couldn't find any direction. How do I drive there from the town?

I have driven the Nome/Council road many times. It's a nice drive. Well worth

it. Once you get into these areas you are seeing the real Alaska. Not the tourist traps where I live in Ketchikan. Stop at the Safety Roadhouse on your way out

to Council. Real Alaskan flavor right there. It's been a few years but I think that

the Pilgrim Hot Springs are still open. As for Anvil mountain I know how to get there but not to give directions. Ask anyone in town anything. Very friendly

and helpful people. And you must stop in the Board of Trade Saloon. See Jim

West Sr. in the little ivory ship next door. He owns it, the saloon, and about 1/2

of the town. Take plenty of pictures as it will be a trip to remember.....

Thanks for your great info!

So you've been to the hot springs? Is it a developed hot spring (I doubt) or a natural spring with little development? I enjoy both type but would like to get some idea first.

In California there are free hot spring right in the river and you can dip into the river free of charge. Of course, very limited facility (pit toilet) only around the area.

I'll definitely take the Nome/Council Road at least.

I can't wait to visit Nome!

Also, I heard something about stupid tourists getting into trouble in the wilderness with wildlife while driving out of Nome. I don't think I am a stupid tourist type of person and have some experience with wilderness and wildlife. It shouldn't be too bad, right?

You need to remember that there are not any trees in the Nome area. Except

at Council. But if memory serves me right they weren't very tall. So, the bears

are pretty easy to spot unless you start wondering through the willows and

other under brush. You shouldn't have any problem. I can't answer your questions about the current state of the hot springs. It's been a while since

I've been up there. Nome has a very good visitors center and I am sure a call

to them would steer you in the right direction.....:)

Archived