Border riever. How was it?

Barrheadlass

Would love to read about your trip. We are booking our November round trip this week. Thanks!

Sorry I didn't spell reiver correctly, couldn't edit it.

I'll do a proper lengthy report before long & probably put it on here where it'll be best used, or try and work out how to do a blog.

We did see the Northern Lights (1 night, 2 occasions). Here's a link to 1 photo for now.

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/104264349.jpg

The last 3 days / nights were a bit of a nightmare at times, with force 7/8 storms at times. On the last night people were leaving the dining room one by one (me too). Stuff was flying off tables & the decider for me was when my chair slid sideways across the restaurant floor.

I was OK lying down, but our packed bags tumbled around in the cabin. Quite an adventure.

The last 3 days / nights were a bit of a nightmare at times, with force 7/8 storms at times. On the last night people were leaving the dining room one by one (me too). Stuff was flying off tables & the decider for me was when my chair slid sideways across the restaurant floor.

I was OK lying down, but our packed bags tumbled around in the cabin. Quite an adventure.

We are doing the round trip on Saturday. I am getting nervous now about the weather. How long were you sailing in the rough seas?

We are doing the round trip on Saturday. I am getting nervous now about the weather. How long were you sailing in the rough seas?

The only problems were when we crossed stretches of open sea and these were limited to around 2 or 3 hours at a time. Passengers are warned in advance when rough seas are likely to be encountered. We missed 2 ports as they were considered too dangerous to try and access and even then, we arrived 50 mins late into Bergen.

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the 10 day weather forecast for the area and it looks ok.

We are flying to Gatwick tomorrow but at the moment the island is covered in thick fog and all flights cancelled.

Do you know how much was charged for the water in the dining room and also the mugs for unlimited tea/coffee?

I look forward to reading your blog when you have finished it.

Kathryn

Thanks for the reply. I have looked at the 10 day weather forecast for the area and it looks ok.

We are flying to Gatwick tomorrow but at the moment the island is covered in thick fog and all flights cancelled.

Do you know how much was charged for the water in the dining room and also the mugs for unlimited tea/coffee?

I look forward to reading your blog when you have finished it.

Kathryn

We paid 345NOK per mug - That's around £35.

We didn't buy any drinks in the dining room, they're hugely expensive I believe.

Fruit juice, tea and coffee are free at breakfast. Only tea & coffee are free at lunch. The only free tea / coffee in the evening is immediately after dinner, and it was at the bar on deck 7. Owners of the Hurtigruten mugs are not allowed to bring them into the dining room, whether full or empty (we heard someone being told not to do that).

BTW...There are road improvements on-going at Bergen airport and the buses couldn't pick up where we were told by Hurtigruten. We found them about 200m to the left of the airport entrance, where there was a small Hurtigruten bus stop sign on the path. Things might have changed again though.

Edited by BORDER REIVER

The water out of the taps in the bathrooms is fine to drink - we just had a bottle and kept refilling it. (and taking a surruptitious slurp out of it in the restaurant!).

We took our own coffee and tea etc and a travel kettle and mugs - and you can buy fresh milk on board or take a cup back to your room.

Get some travel bands for your wrists - I will write a better report but we missed 14 ports and had an overnight stay in Tromso Port. The captain seems VERY keen to avoid bumpy waters!

We had a wonderful time - and still didnt see the lights - but it was amazing anyway!

We paid 345NOK per mug - That's around £35.

It sounds asa though the cost has risen since we were on Midnatsol last October. From memory, we paid ~£29 for a mug.

We didn't buy any drinks in the dining room, they're hugely expensive I believe.

A bottle of red wine was ~£27, again from memory, and I could make it last three dinners!

Fruit juice, tea and coffee are free at breakfast. Only tea & coffee are free at lunch. The only free tea / coffee in the evening is immediately after dinner, and it was at the bar on deck 7.

If we went again we wouldn't buy the tea/coffee deal. Unless anyone is tea/coffee dependent there are enough free opportunities at breakfast, lunch and dinner. And the free option remains open for quite a while after dinner.