Lenses for Alaska- Canon SL1

rnargo

Hi! I'm going on an Alaskan cruise in a week from now. I just bought my first DSLR camera...a Canon SL1. I have an 18-55mm lens as well as a 55-250mm lens. Especially with the smaller size of this camera I have heard really good things about the 40mm pancake lens. If I bought the 40mm pancake, what do you think of traveling up to Alaska with just the 40mm and the 55-250mm lenses? Or do you think I should bring the 18-55mm as well? Thank you in advance!

Hi! I'm going on an Alaskan cruise in a week from now. I just bought my first DSLR camera...a Canon SL1. I have an 18-55mm lens as well as a 55-250mm lens. Especially with the smaller size of this camera I have heard really good things about the 40mm pancake lens. If I bought the 40mm pancake, what do you think of traveling up to Alaska with just the 40mm and the 55-250mm lenses? Or do you think I should bring the 18-55mm as well? Thank you in advance!

40mm on a 1.6x crop sensor is a bit long for interiors and while it would be a sharp shooter for in-town walkabouts, you may want the wider view of the kit as well. It is a small lens and wouldn't be too much of a burden to simply add it to your two kit lenses for the trip.

Dave

Archived