Nov Trans Atlantic Crossing - Rpyal Clipper

Delta Queen

We are Windsurf devotees but in Nov 2014 she will be doing another wet fit therefore no passengers.

We thought we'd research the Royal Clipper to see if we'd like it. Has anyone done this TA?

If so, did you get many days sailing? What are the cabins like - outside, midships, deck 2?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thank you

DQ

We have not done a RC Transat but have done one East/West in Star Clipper, one similar in Windsurf and a West/East in Wind Star.

Sadly, and I do not suppose RC is much different, SC while setting a few square sails in perfect Trade Wind conditions actually kept the propulsion engine going every night and a few days. The night time motoring was to 'catch up' with the schedule having sailed very slowly (6/7 knots) for the daylight hours. SC ought to have been able to sail throughout the voyage but presumably for reasons of excessive heel, passenger comfort and limited crew did and does not do so - whatever the hype. In practice passengers were only invited to assist with setting sail on day one. Thereafter so few sails were set (and they are mostly remotely controlled by the officer of the watch) that there is no need for help, if indeed it were required. The reluctance to actually sail was a disppointment to those many passengers who on this trip are sailors and expected to do so.

Although Star Clippers like to poke fun at Wind Surf & co the amount of actual sailing done by each is not dissimilar & the degree of remote control is much the same. SC do not appreciate that Wind Surf's so called computer control system became ineffective many years ago and ther OOW controls things in the same way in both types of vessel!

All that said we enjoyed the SC experience and have booked to do the same again largely due to price and availability.

I cannot comment on RC cabins but hardly any are the same on SC due to the layout/hull shape etc! Windsurf has considerably superior accommodation and public rooms in all respects and much better food. Beverages are however much more expensive in Windsurf although taking ones own wine from Portugal worked well for us (with corkage). SC is much more intimate but the upper deck ambiance is I think not that different. None of these Transat trips seem to exceed 75% capacity whatever the line.

My conclusion is that SC/RC is excellent value and most enjoyable but given a choice and a budget to match, I would prefer Wind surf. You really have try it to decide!

[My conclusion is that SC/RC is excellent value and most enjoyable but given a choice and a budget to match, I would prefer Wind surf. You really have try it to decide!

Thank you for your response. For us it is RC that is more expensive than Wind Surf. Given that RC is the same size as Wind Star and does not really "sail" and we prefer the Windstar experience we will probably do that TA in Nov 2014.

Deltaqueen

Given as you suggest that RC is the more expensive then I would prefer to go with that and so understand your choice. SC is obviously more spartan than the bigger RC which may explain price. It could be that RC sails more? For me sailing at 6 knots with a few sails is not too exciting when I can and have gone faster in my own very small boat on the same route to the Caribbean!

I was on the Royal Clipper last year from Lisbon to Barbados...

The wind was favorable for sailing most of the time. I'd say we were under sail alone for 3 or 4 days - We actually got rips in 2 sails before we got to Tennerefe.

Most of the time we were motor sailing with all the sails out andonly one of the two engines running. The problem is iwas 2400 miles from the Canary Islands to Barbados, and we had to maintain a 10 knot average.

There were several days where it was a little rocky... Enough so that they were using plastic cups in the bar.

On the Royal Clipper, there is no computer control of the sails. All of the square sails (except 2 ) use hydraulic roller furling to get the sail into and out of the yards. All the sheets, are handled by the crew using electric winches. The jibs and lower staysails are raised via halyards, while the upper staysails use traditional roller furling gear (with sheets handled manually.)

It was interesting to watch how they handled wind shifts at night. After dark there are only 2 seamen on watch. one would go from mast to mast bracing the yards on the masts from the hydraulic control stands, while the other AB would be adjusting the sheets on the lowest sails (the courses).

I had a great time, and look forward to doing it again!

Aloha,

John

I echo John's comments about the sailing. We were under sail most of the time but with the exception of a 3-4 days of sails only we were motor sailing.

It was my first SC trip after numerous others on Tall ships and major Cruise Lines and I chose it for the itinerary.

There were many onboard who had done Windstar and they all agreed that Windstar may be a bit more elegant but you are not getting the true sailing experience that you get on the Royal Clipper.

There is something neat about saying that you have crossed the Atlantic on the Worlds Largest 5 masted sailing ship.

I went el cheapo on a Cat 6 inside cabin as I was travelling alone and I found that it was well appointed and more than adequate.

I did get a chance to tour other cabins over some cocktails with fellow travelers and they were all very nice.

Archived