Biking Tours on Rhine w/ AMA

KruznKimmie

Could someone provide their experiences with the AMA bike tours on the Rhine? Specifically we are looking at the bike tours in Rudesheim, Strasbourg, and Breisach. Which one is the most scenic if we have to make a choice even though I would like to do them all? I am also conflicted in Rudesheim as I want to do the hike, gondola, and bike tour but can only choose one.

My wife and I were on the AmaPrima this past November that sailed down the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel. Our cruise was a wine cruise with a lot of great folks from the Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma, CA. We had a wonderful trip.

We signed up for each of the three bike tours, but only ended up doing the first one in Rudesheim. In both Strasbourg and Briesach, the weather turned colder, cloudier and windy and it just wasn't hospitable to be on bike for 10 to 14 miles.

Our ride in Rudesheim was just about 14 miles long. We rode with about 20 or so fellow cruisers, and there were 2 guides the lead the group. The route we took went east along north side of the river on paved paths that were not crowded, except for a few walkers with dogs, etc. About six miles out we went up away from the river through a small town called Winkel. There were a few hills involved here as we climbed up into some vineyard areas. The views were great. We took mainly paved paths back through the vineyards and past the Schloss Johannisberg. Nice pictures along the way here. Then back down into another little town called Geisenheim and back down to retrace our tracks along the river and back to the ship. The ride took almost two hours, so the pace wasn't real fast. My wife and I had plenty of time in Rudesheim that afternoon and early evening to tour around the town there, but we did not do the gondola ride to the top of the hill over the vineyards.

About 8 to 10 folks took the Strasbourg ride and the route into town and back was much more urban and was about 10 miles round trip. Those bike riders had less time in Strasbourg as well because of the time it took to ride back the ship, and they were pretty chilly from what they told us. By the time we got to Briesach, it was even colder and everyone had opted out of the bike rides by then. We opted instead to take the bus tour to Riquewihr, France, so we didn't see the countryside along the route to Briesach much past the dock areas.

Have a great trip.

My wife and I were on the AmaPrima this past November that sailed down the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel. Our cruise was a wine cruise with a lot of great folks from the Dry Creek Valley in Sonoma, CA. We had a wonderful trip.

We signed up for each of the three bike tours, but only ended up doing the first one in Rudesheim. In both Strasbourg and Briesach, the weather turned colder, cloudier and windy and it just wasn't hospitable to be on bike for 10 to 14 miles.

Our ride in Rudesheim was just about 14 miles long. We rode with about 20 or so fellow cruisers, and there were 2 guides the lead the group. The route we took went east along north side of the river on paved paths that were not crowded, except for a few walkers with dogs, etc. About six miles out we went up away from the river through a small town called Winkel. There were a few hills involved here as we climbed up into some vineyard areas. The views were great. We took mainly paved paths back through the vineyards and past the Schloss Johannisberg. Nice pictures along the way here. Then back down into another little town called Geisenheim and back down to retrace our tracks along the river and back to the ship. The ride took almost two hours, so the pace wasn't real fast. My wife and I had plenty of time in Rudesheim that afternoon and early evening to tour around the town there, but we did not do the gondola ride to the top of the hill over the vineyards.

About 8 to 10 folks took the Strasbourg ride and the route into town and back was much more urban and was about 10 miles round trip. Those bike riders had less time in Strasbourg as well because of the time it took to ride back the ship, and they were pretty chilly from what they told us. By the time we got to Briesach, it was even colder and everyone had opted out of the bike rides by then. We opted instead to take the bus tour to Riquewihr, France, so we didn't see the countryside along the route to Briesach much past the dock areas.

Have a great trip.

Thanks so much for the detailed response and we might also have the same issue as we leave in about 1 month so the weather could dictate our choice. The pace in Rudesheim sounds easily manageable. We will also be on a wine cruise and we do have to exercise so we can drink more:D

We cruised the Rhine on the AMA Certo last October and we did the bike tour in Rudesheim. We were docked there overnight, so we had time to do the bike ride, visit the local wine bars, eat in town and some even rode the Gondola. There was plenty of time for all of those things. We did not get a docking in Strasbourg and had to dock on the other side of the river, so that bike tour was cancelled.

We cruised the Rhine on the AMA Certo last October and we did the bike tour in Rudesheim. We were docked there overnight, so we had time to do the bike ride, visit the local wine bars, eat in town and some even rode the Gondola. There was plenty of time for all of those things. We did not get a docking in Strasbourg and had to dock on the other side of the river, so that bike tour was cancelled.

Thanks so much for the reply and all 3 sound good to me too and we might attempt more than just the bike ride if the weather is decent.

Very interesting about Strasbourg because the location where some ships dock on the Kehl side of the river (other side from Strasbourg) is right next to a pedestrian/bike bridge that connects up with nice bike trails right into the city. Were you docked in the area between the major road bridge and the pedestrian bridge (a white arching bridge)?