Small Ship - Greek Islands Harmony V

FishmanCinti

• 4 months later...

Hi There!

We have booked the Harmony V for the end of August, first week in September for their 7- day Classical Greek Islands tour. It's our first "small ship" experience, and I can't wait, as others have raved about these mega-yacht type ships.

Has anyone else done this tour on a comparable ship such as the Pegasus, or Parthenon? I would love some tips on things not to miss on each island, as well as those places to pass up.

Kaffe-Half

:)

• 1 month later...

In summer 2008, we decided to travel with Variety Cruises in the cruise H&B 1, in the circuit called “Cycladic Pearls”. The experience was awful. It was supposed the motorsailer for 40 passengers would be in Marine Zea in Athens to start the cruise. No. When we arrive to Marine Zea, we found there was no ship at all. An employee from Variety cruises give us a ticket to take a big ferry from Pireaus to go to Syros, where the H&B1 was anchored (in the port). We arrive Syros late in the afternoon, with some other people, and they took us to the motorsailer H&B1.

We were in Syros FOUR nights, seeing a car parking from our Class A cabin small windows. In those days, the ship didn’t move from the port. We pay for buses to go to the beaches.

The guide was Italian, and he didn’t speak Greek at all, and the English also was not perfect. The worst problem it was he has little idea about the islands.

Finally, the fifth day, the ship manages to depart and we go to Paros, another island. During the sailing, a horrible smelt fill up the cabins. When we arrive to the island, again, we payed for the buses and everything to arrive to beaches. Forget about going in the H&B 1 to the beaches. The Greek Nigh (a dinner with a cost of 30 euros), was not really good. It seemed to me we went to a captain’s friend hotel, very far away from the town.

Forget Santorini, Delos, Sounion, Kea, Ios. We saw nothing of these places.

Sixth Day: They promise us we depart to Kea. Another trick. They took us to Hydra, the last place you could imagine to go from a Cycladic island cruise. Again in Hydra, we pay for going to a near beach, not very good. The captain says it was very difficult to move the ship in this port. Also, the “excellent” guide says he never was in the island. A new experience every day.

Seventh day: They tricked us again They promised to go Sounion Cape. NO. We finish in Aegina, an island near Athens.

All these days the weather was perfect, so, today, the only explanation for me is they want to save fuel and money, of course.

The ships seems somewhat unstable to sail those waters.

The food was terrible. The last day the give to us al the remnants from previous days. Wonderful. Our class A cabin was small, but you need to see the Class B and Class C. Yo need to be contortionist or something similar to enter in those cabins. I am not going to talk about the shower, but all you can imagine is little.

We arrive to Athens at 4 pm. We spent the night in Athens. The breakfast was a 7 a.m. I suppose the need to clean somewhat the vessel to capture another ignorant people.

So, the cruise was a complete fraud.

• 4 weeks later...

I have actually been on several of the Variety Cruises...I have tried on board both their upscale more luxurious products and their casual products and I actually had loads of fun on all occasions. I had missed one island once due to some high winds...but that was all. It was a bit frustrating but the overall cruise was unforgettable. The crew was great, the ship was in great condition and we had the chance to visit some really cool secluded ports of call we would never have seen if we had been on a large cruise ship. I am really jealous of you going on the Harmony V and wish I have the chance to go to Greece once again on one of the small ships of Variety Cruises.

And I wont even start talking about the beauty of the Greek Islands and the Greek People because this message would never end.

Have FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

• 3 weeks later...

Have been looking for more information about their megayachts, especially the new ship, called the Harmony V. I was told that it is not out yet, but wanted to know how to make sure this is the ship we get to cruise on, once we make a decision. Looking at the Classical 7 Night itinerary too. Any suggestions?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This new 26 cabin, 183 1/2 ft megayacht did not launch as scheduled in the Spring last year. This year it will do a 7 night Classical Mediterannean itinerary from the Marina Zea-Athens. From all descriptions, it sounds gorgeous. Waiting on first hand reviews.

• 2 months later...

It is amazing to me that as far back as last August, people were booking sails for the the Harmony V. We booked a cruise on this ship several months ago for a May 13th, 2009 departure. One week before our sail date, we received a letter that our ship was changed to the Harmony G for "technical reasons" but that it would be comparable. The Harmony G is in no way a luxury ship. It is old, rusted out, and has a musky smell to it. Another couple on the trip had booked the cruise just two weeks before the sail date and was still told it would be the Harmony V. The staff told us the Harmony V had yet to be put into service as it was waiting for governmental paperwork to be completed. This seems like a total bait and switch routine. When I boarded the boat, I literally was in tears. However, once you are there, what can you do? You're only options are to go with it or walk off the boat and try to re-plan a vacation while you are in a foreign country.

Edited by cruiseange

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, 2 days before a scheduled departure of the Harmony V Classical 7 night cruise, I heard they apologized for a last minute change which was due to some technical delays caused by the classification of the ship by the ABS (American Bureau of Shipping). The couple we know that booked this new megayacht last year and received their new brochure describing all the new features and accomodations, are on their own traveling in Europe and have no idea of the changes that they are about to discover tomorrow, when they arrive at the Marina Zea. They expect to board this new ship sometime between 1 pm and 3 pm. Instead, someone will be directing them to be transfered to embarkation on another ship, the Pegasus, which is in Patras in the Peloponnese. How far is that from the Marina Zea/Athens? I had no idea this situation occured before with someone else, and I wish I could contact them today and let them know what's going on. Oh boy.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I know that this thread has been dormant for a couple years, but I'm curious if anyone has any more info on the Harmony V?

I'm looking for a small cruise ship for the Greek isles next year, and I found this ship on a website of a company named Odyssey Sailing. It looks nice, but there is little information out there about it. Their site shows 2014 dates on the Harmony V.

Any input would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...