Musica anyone want any Info?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

MSC Cruises

Read hundreds of MSC Cruise Reviews from real cruisers.

Find Your MSC Cruises Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:24 PM.
#1
Corby United Kingdom
18 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Hi all just returned from Musica 7 day cruise round Greece/Dubrovnik. Had a great time at all the ports etc. Did all (with the exception of Santorini) DIY after getting tips from this site, thanks to all. Anyone wanting any info feel free to ask.
#2
16 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Hi , doing the same cruise in September , did you find you had enough time when in port to visit the places you wanted to see ? We plan do make our own way whilst in Port so any advice would be helpful .
#3
melbourne victoria australia
320 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by JONFRO
Hi all just returned from Musica 7 day cruise round Greece/Dubrovnik. Had a great time at all the ports etc. Did all (with the exception of Santorini) DIY after getting tips from this site, thanks to all. Anyone wanting any info feel free to ask.
Thanks for the post Jonfro, so glad you enjoyed your cruise.

Like you I have so many tips for our cruise on 27th Sept thanks to all the wonderful posters. Unfortunately the ships tour of Santorini was booked out when our TA tried to book us in so we will be doing all ports DIY apart from Katakolon where we are sharing a car with another couple from CC. Any hints or tips you learned would be appreciated though thank you.

Cheers, Misty
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


#4
Corby United Kingdom
18 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
Originally posted by lancscruise
Hi , doing the same cruise in September , did you find you had enough time when in port to visit the places you wanted to see ? We plan do make our own way whilst in Port so any advice would be helpful .
Bari- didn't bother with the excursions, got the shuttle bus to the port enterance. turn left out of the gates walk about 1/4 mile and walk into narrow streets of old town.

Corfu- got a taxi (goto the back of the long line of taxi's, the ones at the front silly prices.) and went to Dassia beach. Hire the sunbeds from Hotel Malibu (haggle I paid 12 euro for 4) and you get the use of there nice swimming pool. Arranged with taxi to be picked up.

Santorini- Those on the 'bus' excursions get off first, the ship then moves on, and the people doing the boat excursion get off, followed by those just using the tender to the town. We went on the boat excursion, which finishes at the small port. I noticed there you could do a private trip to the volcano, however not sure of timescales. Warning - the que for the cable car coming back down is very long, however very well managed by MSC staff, so no worries about being left behind.

Mikonos- got the shuttle bus in (8 euros adult 6 euros child) didn't see many taxis. It is quite a way and the road is narrow and busy, wouldn't recommend walking. Had a great meal in Niko's Resturant. (walk along the seafront all the way till nearly past all the shops then go up a side street)

Athens- walked out of the port, and got a taxi to acropolis.(ignore the ones in the parking area, we got ours on the main road on the way to the metro, he took us right there 20 euros. we managed to get our ticket and be 2nd people up the top managed to get loads of photo's with no crowds. As we left all the tour buses were arriving. Metro to national museum, then metro to Stygmata square for 11am to see changing of the guard. Metro back to port.

Katakolon- walked of ship into town loads of shops, went to small pebble beach to the left as you leave the port(good beach shoes recommended!). The beach thru the town on the right although looks nice from the boat is compacted earth rather than sand.

Dubrovnik- We got the taxi, 10 euros (cheaper for us than shuttle bus as 4 in our party) didn't walk the walls far to hot! and no shade. Nice walking thru the town.

Tips for the boat- If using buffet for breakfast, time it right, use the meeting times for the excursions as a guide.
We took a kettle to make our own tea/coffee in the cabin(the coffee is awful). Order continental breakfast in the room (free) and keep the milk in the mini bar. They don't have cold milk in the buffet!!, just hot.
Didn't get fruit in the cabin, however bring back what you want from the buffet.
If available check in online before you depart, as enables you to bypass all the que's at embarkation.

hope of some help.
#5
melbourne victoria australia
320 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by JONFRO
Bari- didn't bother with the excursions, got the shuttle bus to the port enterance. turn left out of the gates walk about 1/4 mile and walk into narrow streets of old town.

Corfu- got a taxi (goto the back of the long line of taxi's, the ones at the front silly prices.) and went to Dassia beach. Hire the sunbeds from Hotel Malibu (haggle I paid 12 euro for 4) and you get the use of there nice swimming pool. Arranged with taxi to be picked up.

Santorini- Those on the 'bus' excursions get off first, the ship then moves on, and the people doing the boat excursion get off, followed by those just using the tender to the town. We went on the boat excursion, which finishes at the small port. I noticed there you could do a private trip to the volcano, however not sure of timescales. Warning - the que for the cable car coming back down is very long, however very well managed by MSC staff, so no worries about being left behind.

Mikonos- got the shuttle bus in (8 euros adult 6 euros child) didn't see many taxis. It is quite a way and the road is narrow and busy, wouldn't recommend walking. Had a great meal in Niko's Resturant. (walk along the seafront all the way till nearly past all the shops then go up a side street)

Athens- walked out of the port, and got a taxi to acropolis.(ignore the ones in the parking area, we got ours on the main road on the way to the metro, he took us right there 20 euros. we managed to get our ticket and be 2nd people up the top managed to get loads of photo's with no crowds. As we left all the tour buses were arriving. Metro to national museum, then metro to Stygmata square for 11am to see changing of the guard. Metro back to port.

Katakolon- walked of ship into town loads of shops, went to small pebble beach to the left as you leave the port(good beach shoes recommended!). The beach thru the town on the right although looks nice from the boat is compacted earth rather than sand.

Dubrovnik- We got the taxi, 10 euros (cheaper for us than shuttle bus as 4 in our party) didn't walk the walls far to hot! and no shade. Nice walking thru the town.

Tips for the boat- If using buffet for breakfast, time it right, use the meeting times for the excursions as a guide.
We took a kettle to make our own tea/coffee in the cabin(the coffee is awful). Order continental breakfast in the room (free) and keep the milk in the mini bar. They don't have cold milk in the buffet!!, just hot.
Didn't get fruit in the cabin, however bring back what you want from the buffet.
If available check in online before you depart, as enables you to bypass all the que's at embarkation.

hope of some help.
Thanks so much Jonfro, those tips are really great. The only port that has me worried is Santorini, for that reason we asked our TA to book the ships excursion but they said they were booked out. They suggested we try again when on board, don't know if they put on another if there are enough wanting it but let's hope so. I read on another post that there is a tour company on shore which is reasonable so I guess we just play it by ear.

Thanks again, Misty
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


#6
16 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by JONFRO
Bari- didn't bother with the excursions, got the shuttle bus to the port enterance. turn left out of the gates walk about 1/4 mile and walk into narrow streets of old town.

Corfu- got a taxi (goto the back of the long line of taxi's, the ones at the front silly prices.) and went to Dassia beach. Hire the sunbeds from Hotel Malibu (haggle I paid 12 euro for 4) and you get the use of there nice swimming pool. Arranged with taxi to be picked up.

Santorini- Those on the 'bus' excursions get off first, the ship then moves on, and the people doing the boat excursion get off, followed by those just using the tender to the town. We went on the boat excursion, which finishes at the small port. I noticed there you could do a private trip to the volcano, however not sure of timescales. Warning - the que for the cable car coming back down is very long, however very well managed by MSC staff, so no worries about being left behind.

Mikonos- got the shuttle bus in (8 euros adult 6 euros child) didn't see many taxis. It is quite a way and the road is narrow and busy, wouldn't recommend walking. Had a great meal in Niko's Resturant. (walk along the seafront all the way till nearly past all the shops then go up a side street)

Athens- walked out of the port, and got a taxi to acropolis.(ignore the ones in the parking area, we got ours on the main road on the way to the metro, he took us right there 20 euros. we managed to get our ticket and be 2nd people up the top managed to get loads of photo's with no crowds. As we left all the tour buses were arriving. Metro to national museum, then metro to Stygmata square for 11am to see changing of the guard. Metro back to port.

Katakolon- walked of ship into town loads of shops, went to small pebble beach to the left as you leave the port(good beach shoes recommended!). The beach thru the town on the right although looks nice from the boat is compacted earth rather than sand.

Dubrovnik- We got the taxi, 10 euros (cheaper for us than shuttle bus as 4 in our party) didn't walk the walls far to hot! and no shade. Nice walking thru the town.

Tips for the boat- If using buffet for breakfast, time it right, use the meeting times for the excursions as a guide.
We took a kettle to make our own tea/coffee in the cabin(the coffee is awful). Order continental breakfast in the room (free) and keep the milk in the mini bar. They don't have cold milk in the buffet!!, just hot.
Didn't get fruit in the cabin, however bring back what you want from the buffet.
If available check in online before you depart, as enables you to bypass all the que's at embarkation.

hope of some help.

Thanks for the advice , also read your review , very helpful and put my mind at rest as a first time cruiser with MSC . I have also booked a suite which evening restaurant were you allocated ?

Thanks again Lancscruise
#7
Corby United Kingdom
18 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
L,Orleando. Table 509 by the window great views of sunset. We were on a table of 4 on our own. Service was great, as was the food. Watch out for the baked alaska!!
#8
16 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by JONFRO
L,Orleando. Table 509 by the window great views of sunset. We were on a table of 4 on our own. Service was great, as was the food. Watch out for the baked alaska!!
Thanks for the information
#9
melbourne victoria australia
320 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by JONFRO
L,Orleando. Table 509 by the window great views of sunset. We were on a table of 4 on our own. Service was great, as was the food. Watch out for the baked alaska!!
What times were the two dinner sittings please. Is it true the later sitting was after 9pm?, if so that is far too late. We opted for the late as on past cruises (not MSC) the early are rushed out the door to let the late ones in.
Thanks again, Misty
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


#10
Corby United Kingdom
18 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
the first sitting was around 7pm the second around 9pm, however this changed slightly each night due to times in port etc. We were on the first sitting as we have 2 children,and normally went in 10 minutes before the 'official' start time. We never felt as though we were being rushed.