Timid divers in Grand Caymen and Cozumel

TMJJS

...On Cozumel, it doesn't seem like shore diving is an option. If I can't get my family to dive with me, I'm thinking of diving while they snorkel. Somehow snorkeling in the middle of the ocean is fine :-) Does anyone have recommendations for a company that does both snorkeling and diving together?

Thanks in advance for any help!

First, my sympathy for the loss of your son.

Second, I started my 15-year-old son diving on Coz on a cruise "Intro" excursion. AFter that, we went to Coz for a week of diving--his first big blues. After a lot of research, I chose Aldora Divers. I have zero regrets about it. They are top-notch with newbies and safety is tops with them. Even though we paid standard 2 tank rates, more often than not, my son had his own private DM on the dives. It was great! They are a flexible shop and they hit spots for snorkeling as well.

Third, I think a good option would be Chankannab Park. You can rent SCUBA, and the others can snorkel to their hearts' content. Not the best diving, but lots of fun seeing your family "up there" while you're "down there"....

Fourth, I know of no good dive op that would not make accommodations for someone wnating or not wanting a certain type of entry. I have been taught that the first rule of diving is, "if you are not comfortable with something, then don't do it".

Best of luck. Have fun!

Edited by bilboinsa

This may be a little late for the original poster, but as far as companies that offer both scuba and snorkeling on the same boat, I can recommend Cozumel H2O:

http://www.cozumelh2o.com/

We did a snorkel tour with them and they were very clear that they would do a tour with both snorkelers and divers. They have very good reviews on Trip Advisor and are accommodating and reassuring. The briefing we got on the way to the dive sites was the best I've ever had on snorkeling as well as about the locations we were heading to/what we would see at each place. In addition, the first dive/snorkel is at a shallow, sandy location where guide evaluates everyone's skills and comfort before going on to the other sites.

• 2 weeks later...

We have decided to go to Chankannab Park! Seems to have a little of everything. Also there is the ability to shore scuba dive. Might not see the best things underwater, but hopefully it'll still be a good experience. Can't wait, leave in 2 days (to start the drive from Chicago to Ft. Lauderdale)!