Bought the Nikon L820 today

wrigley80

I ordered this camera yesterday so I could have time to learn to use it before my December 14 cruise. The December 2013 issue of Consumer Reports rates it as a Best Buy, and it's #1 on Amazon for point and shoot cameras.

How do you like yours now that you've had a few days to play with it? Are you finding it easy to learn to use?

I have a Canon G9 that's starting to show its age. In January, I bought a pocket-size Canon that I took on a May cruise to Bermuda. Unfortunately, the camera has disappeared and, although I've searched everywhere in my house, I haven't been able to find it. I didn't want to re-order the exact same camera (I still hope the missing camera will turn up), but I wanted something newer than my G9 and something with more zoom capability.

I ordered this camera yesterday so I could have time to learn to use it before my December 14 cruise. The December 2013 issue of Consumer Reports rates it as a Best Buy, and it's #1 on Amazon for point and shoot cameras.

How do you like yours now that you've had a few days to play with it? Are you finding it easy to learn to use?

I have a Canon G9 that's starting to show its age. In January, I bought a pocket-size Canon that I took on a May cruise to Bermuda. Unfortunately, the camera has disappeared and, although I've searched everywhere in my house, I haven't been able to find it. I didn't want to re-order the exact same camera (I still hope the missing camera will turn up), but I wanted something newer than my G9 and something with more zoom capability.

Yes I love mine. It has some great features. I can't wait to start taking cruise pics with it this Sunday

I am sure you will have fun with it.

You may want to invest in a good set of Ni-MH AA rechargeable batteries, such as Sanyo Eneloop XX, which are rated for 2400mAH. You can get a set of 4 with charger for under $30 at Amazon, etc.

I would avoid the department store Ni-MH batteries such as those from Duracell and others as they typically only have a 1300mAH capacity, so they will not last as long between charges.

If in doubt, look for the mAH rating on the battery packaging. I would recommend at least 2000mAH minimum for a camera.

Edited by awboater

I am sure you will have fun with it.

You may want to invest in a good set of Ni-MH AA rechargeable batteries, such as Sanyo Eneloop XX, which are rated for 2400mAH. You can get a set of 4 with charger for under $30 at Amazon, etc.

I would avoid the department store Ni-MH batteries such as those from Duracell and others as they typically only have a 1300mAH capacity, so they will not last as long between charges.

If in doubt, look for the mAH rating on the battery packaging. I would recommend at least 2000mAH minimum for a camera.

Thank you.... When I bought the camera I bought a set of the Duracell rechargeable batteries because they were there at Best Buy. I believe they are 1300mAH but I also bought another pack of 4 batteries that didn't include the charger and those were 2000mAH.

It's always good to have a second set of batteries on hand

awboater, thanks for the information about batteries. I knew I wanted rechargeable ones but didn't know much about which rating would be best for a camera. With every camera I've owned, I've always made sure to have extra batteries with me when I'm out shooting. When I went to England three years ago, I had to recharge both batteries every night because I took a bazillion pictures every day.

My camera arrived on Saturday but, due to all the rain we're having, I haven't been able to go out and take as many pictures as I'd like. It does seem easy to operate, and I'm pleased with the pictures I've taken so far. I like the variety of settings one can choose.

I bought it from B&H Photo. There was a list of recommended accessories, and I bought a Watson 4-hour charger that came with four batteries ($14.50) and an extra set of Watson AA 2300 mAh batteries ($8.95). The package says the batteries can be charged up to 1,000 cycles.

I also bought a SanDisk SAESD16GBQ 16GB SDHC Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card ($20.95). Their sale price was comparable to Amazon's but I didn't have to pay sales tax (my state is one of the few that requires people to pay taxes on Amazon purchases).

wrigley80, have fun on your B2B cruises and get lots of good photos!

Edited by Moto Guzzi

awboater, thanks for the information about batteries. I knew I wanted rechargeable ones but didn't know much about which rating would be best for a camera. With every camera I've owned, I've always made sure to have extra batteries with me when I'm out shooting. When I went to England three years ago, I had to recharge both batteries every night because I took a bazillion pictures every day.

My camera arrived on Saturday but, due to all the rain we're having, I haven't been able to go out and take as many pictures as I'd like. It does seem easy to operate, and I'm pleased with the pictures I've taken so far. I like the variety of settings one can choose.

I bought it from B&H Photo. There was a list of recommended accessories, and I bought a Watson 4-hour charger that came with four batteries ($14.50) and an extra set of Watson AA 2300 mAh batteries ($8.95). The package says the batteries can be charged up to 1,000 cycles.

I also bought a SanDisk SAESD16GBQ 16GB SDHC Extreme Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card ($20.95). Their sale price was comparable to Amazon's but I didn't have to pay sales tax (my state is one of the few that requires people to pay taxes on Amazon purchases).

wrigley80, have fun on your B2B cruises and get lots of good photos!

Thank you and I definitely will. I hope you enjoy you new camera as much as I do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk