Captain of Mariner?

OrpingtonT

Last year I had the pleasure of a cruise on Mariner and it was captained by a French gentleman (in every sense of the word) called Jean-Marie Guillou. I had heard that Capt. Guillou was to retire at the end of 2006. Has this happened and if so does anyone know any information about his replacement?

Capt. Dag of Voyager gets so much publicity and is very well known yet we hear little about Mariner. Certainly Capt. Guillou was genuinely liked and respected by his crew and I hope his tradition is being carried forward by his successor, if indeed he has retired.

Capt Guillou is no longer with Regent. He was forced out due to age and ship country of registry. He is now with another line. Too bad; he was my favorite with Broomhall( also gone when Diamond went due to lack of senoirity ) second and Dag third.

We had the pleasure of cruising with both individuals and they are delightful and very approachable! I'm sure you'd enjoy meeting them.

Many thanks.

I seem to recall that you promised to post your experiences on Mariner during a private charter at the end of March. I don't recall seeing those thoughts. Did I miss them somehow?

Yes...I'm sorry - I made that promise but posted our experiences on another cruise board. I can direct you there if you're interested.

We had a wonderful cruise and very much enjoyed the refurbished ship - unfortunately wifi was not available in our suite so my postings were a bit more limited because I had to take my laptop to the coffee corner. I've posted some photos on the "wifi on the Mariner" thread.

ITravelNow.

Thank you. I had been hoping to see some photos of the refurbished Mariner and those were excellent, though we are in a standard suite rather than a penthouse.

The coffee corner looks fine, an improvement on the old version. I am not carting a laptop from the UK so the computer room will suit me fine.

Incidentally, I heard that Capt. Guillou is still sailing, but with Oceana.

Archived