Windstar vs Seabourn Spirit

Mameypeak

We are looking at two January 2015 Caribbean cruises-both with nice itineraries: the Windstar vs the Seabourn Spirit (soon to be a Windstar ship).

Third on the list, is Explorer of the seas (a 9 days, not 7 days). Afer just sailing on Silversea, I am not thrilled to go back on such a big boat.

So between Seabourn and Windstar, The Windstar is less expensive (I realize that alcoholic drinks are not included). I read that the cabins have been renovated on Windstar and are smaller-that's ok.

Any input would be helpful.

Silversea Spirit 2013 (Venice to Athens)

Carnival Pride

Celebrity -bermuda

Celebrity-Eastern Caribbean

QE 2 (2001)-New England/Canada

We are looking at two January 2015 Caribbean cruises-both with nice itineraries: the Windstar vs the Seabourn Spirit (soon to be a Windstar ship).

Third on the list, is Explorer of the seas (a 9 days, not 7 days). Afer just sailing on Silversea, I am not thrilled to go back on such a big boat.

So between Seabourn and Windstar, The Windstar is less expensive (I realize that alcoholic drinks are not included). I read that the cabins have been renovated on Windstar and are smaller-that's ok.

Any input would be helpful.

Silversea Spirit 2013 (Venice to Athens)

Carnival Pride

Celebrity -bermuda

Celebrity-Eastern Caribbean

QE 2 (2001)-New England/Canada

We love both. Now I know that is probably not as helpful as you might like but both ships have their own personalities. If I had to choise between the two I would pick the itinerary & dates that worked best for us and know that either ship would give us wonderful memories. And the next time we sailed I probably would book the other one. Believe me I don't think you would be disappointed in either ship. One thing that you might want to keep in mind is that when Seabourn Spirit changes hands and becomes a Windstar Ship you will have lost your chance to sail on a small Seabourn ship. Many of us that have sailed on one of the triplets loved the size of these ships vs the newer and larger Seabourn fleet. Have a wonderful time and let us know what you decide.

Shirley

Having just returned from a 7-day Carib sailing on the Wind Surf, I will tell you that we loved the Sports Platform. That is one main difference between the 2 ships.

If you are planning on a 7-day voyage, another WindStar advantage would be you are leaving and returning to the same port...Seabourn does not.

Finally, the Wind Star with 148 passengers, feels more like a private party for friends.

Regardless of the decision you make, you'll have a great time.

Having just returned from a 7-day Carib sailing on the Wind Surf, I will tell you that we loved the Sports Platform. That is one main difference between the 2 ships.

If you are planning on a 7-day voyage, another WindStar advantage would be you are leaving and returning to the same port...Seabourn does not.

Finally, the Wind Star with 148 passengers, feels more like a private party for friends.

Regardless of the decision you make, you'll have a great time.

I agree with everything you mentioned except for one detail, Seabourn does have a sports platform and when possible they open it up and allow you to use all their "toys". Loads of fun.

Thank you for your input. We are still deciding, but the Windstar is about $1000 less per person. They are the same dates. I very slightly prefer the Seabourn itinerary, but not $1000pp more. Does Seabourn every have good sales?

Thank you for your input. We are still deciding, but the Windstar is about $1000 less per person. They are the same dates. I very slightly prefer the Seabourn itinerary, but not $1000pp more. Does Seabourn every have good sales?

We have in the past received very discounted fares on Seabourn. We always book the lowest level mid-ship stateroom. Perfect everytime.

The chances of Seabourn having good sales in the near future is not likely. By this time next year they'll be down over 600 rooms with another year or two wait for more capacity. While they may have a sale I wouldn't except one (unless the Spirit and Legend final cruises sell as poorly as the Prides did - only 127 passengers).

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First - I would ALWAYS choose Windstar for a Caribbean cruise (despite some disappointing European cruises). The sports platform, the availability of beaches and scuba, the open bridge, the casual dress...in my book, it's the only choice in the Caribbean. One of my favorite things to do is to get up very early and go to the bridge to watch the islands materialize out of the ocean...arriving at the islands is a special experience for me. And though I adore Oceania, I went nuts in Santorini because there was no way to swim in the gorgeous waters of the caldera - not a problem on Windstar, I expect.

We are booked on the Star Pride in September, and since there were no Star Pride reviews to read a couple months ago, I read the most recent reviews of the Seabourn Pride. The latest reviews were horrible. Reviewers felt that Seabourn invested nothing in the maintenance prior to the transition to Windstar. I suggest you read these reviews, because I would expect a similar experience on the other Seabourn->Windstar ships.

... The latest reviews were horrible. Reviewers felt that Seabourn invested nothing in the maintenance prior to the transition to Windstar. I suggest you read these reviews, because I would expect a similar experience on the other Seabourn->Windstar ships.

As one who was on the Prides final two cruises under the Seabourn flag I have to question the reviewers who said there was no maintenance done. if you view the galleries from St. Thomas the first through the Straights (the final two cruises were St. Thomas - St. Thomas then St. Thomas to Barcelona) you can see the pictures I took and see if there may have been some exaggeration on the parts of the reviewers. For a ship thats nearing 30 years old I thought it was in great shape. Also during both cruises the staff was as busy as they were pre-sale maintaining things as necessary.

If interested - here's my CC thread on the final cruises: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2028458

Edited by Emperor Norton