Monkeys

Abear2

Gambalina Park has monkeys. Also, if you book with Victor Bodden tours, he has a couple monkeys at his house that you can hold. Don't look for them in the wild, though. We were told that monkeys were not native to Roatan.

I emailed Gumbalimba Park directly to ask about admission and other fees. They said that when ships were in port, they were open only to official tours offered through the ship, so you can't just show up in a cab.

http://www.gumbalimbapark.com/

Thank you so much for the information. Can anyone just take a taxi to Gumbalimba Park or do you have to book an excursion through the ship ? Thanks

Thank you Scotty for that information. I had read on another thread where someone did just take a taxi and were able to get in. On a different thread I had read that you could not do that, so I was very confussed. I don't think we should take a chance then.

I wouldn't be surprised if they let people in if they weren't busy, but I wouldn't spend my time on the island trying to find out. ;) I think Victor's monkeys might be a safer bet.

Thank you Scotty for that information. I had read on another thread where someone did just take a taxi and were able to get in. On a different thread I had read that you could not do that, so I was very confussed. I don't think we should take a chance then.

Scotty the only thing is that I would have to book Victor for the day. I really want to go shopping and ride a horse. I just wanted to see and play with monkeys too. That is the reason I thought if I would just go to the park on my own, then I could also do everything else I wanted to do as well. Oh well, I guess I will just have to decide which I would prefer to do. Thanks Janice

Janice...

This is just a guess here -- but, you might ask your cab driver to take you to Victor Bodden's house to see the monkeys! It seems everyone knows one another on Roatan...

It wouldn't hurt to ask, especially if Gumbalimba is out of the question.

The entry fee for Victor's monkeys, anteater, deer, etc. is $2 (the last time I visited) so it will probably be a less expensive option than the Gumbalimba entry fee.

...Again, this is all "just a guess" -- but thought I'd put it out there!

Matthew I had thought of that, but then I figured they probally don't allow anyone at his house if you are not booked with him. I could be wrong but I would sure like to know for sure. Ok well, if I find out anymore I will let ya'll know . Janice

a1e4ff2c.gif

I will be there Thanksgiving week, so I'll try to find out the "monkey scoop" for you! I'll report back when I find out anything...

I just can't wait to get there! I'll try to find out if you can go on your own to either Bodden's monkey farm (don't know what he calls it, but that sounded good!) and/or Gumbalimba. There just has to be a way!

I emailed Gumbalimba Park directly to ask about admission and other fees. They said that when ships were in port, they were open only to official tours offered through the ship, so you can't just show up in a cab.

http://www.gumbalimbapark.com/

Not 100% true. We hired a local taxi/guide for the day and paid him $60US for

the day for 4 of us.

He took us to the park and said that they normally only take tours. But said

if he talks with them first we could get in. We helped us with the price to the

park. We paid around 15PP to get in and allowed our guide to come in as well.

I've booked a driver through Diane and Cinthia, and they're going to take us to Victor Bodden's house to see his animals. Same charge - $2 pp - and we're saving $30 on hiring a driver for the day through them rather than through Victor.

Janice...

This is just a guess here -- but, you might ask your cab driver to take you to Victor Bodden's house to see the monkeys! It seems everyone knows one another on Roatan...

It wouldn't hurt to ask, especially if Gumbalimba is out of the question.

The entry fee for Victor's monkeys, anteater, deer, etc. is $2 (the last time I visited) so it will probably be a less expensive option than the Gumbalimba entry fee.

...Again, this is all "just a guess" -- but thought I'd put it out there!

Thank ya'll so much for all the information. Tx I will be waiting to hear about the monkey business when you return .LOL:D

Rowan do you have their e-mail so that I can find out how much they will charge us to take us there.

reno is that $50.00 for everything or just the park ? That is too expensive for just the park.:eek:

Rowan is that $70 for everyone ? Also does that include everything ?

The $70 is just to drive us around. We'll be going to the Iguana Farm which is $5 pp, Victor's house for $2 pp, and then just hitting the beach for a while and doing some sightseeing. Still much cheaper, and a much more personal experience, than booking something through the ship.

Is that per person or for the whole taxi ? That's not bad if it's for more than one person, but if that is per person then I think that's expensive. Thank you

It's for everyone. I believe it was $35 pp for me and my husband, and the kids are free.

Rowan thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Matthew I will be waiting to hear about the monkey business when you return from your cruise. Hope you have a great time. I know you will though. Janice

Our group booked a tour through Carnival to go to Gumba Limba Park and it was wonderful. But when we returned early to the ship and realized we still had some time, we took a taxi which was at the gate and told them exactly where we wanted to go. We were driven way out of the way, the oil light was on the entire time, the driver spoke no English and we were quite frightened. We were four women. When we finally were returned after demanding he take us back, we paid only half of the fare and told him why.

Another man ran after us and demanded to know why we did this. We told him it was because he took us in the exact opposite direction we had requested and almost missed boarding the ship! We will never take anything but a Carnival shore tour again.

We had originally booked the kayak & snorkel but upon arrival there was rain and dense cloud cover so we switched to the Pirates, Monkeys, and Birds excursion at Gumba Limba Park. We had a great time learning about pirate history, playing with Spider Monkeys, White Face Monkeys, Howler Monkeys and lots of exotic birds. Lots of photo opps and the option to purchase pictures at the end. There is a private beach with non-motor sports, a snack area and gift shop. This is also where you can do the zip line and canopy tour. Lasted about 2 1/2 hours with time to shop before boarding the ship. **Keep in mind there is nothing to do but shop in the small area near the pier. Locals will hassle for business but a quick "no thanks" will send them on their way. They are in the process of building a new tourist village like other ports but it will be some time before its finished. If you have any questions please let me know.

Thank ya'll so much for this information.

Julie we were going to just take a taxi, but now I guess that is out of the question. Thank God ya'll were four people, because no telling where they might have gone with ya'll on that Island.:eek: I have taken taxi's before in Cozumel by myself and have never felt unsecure, but I don't think I will be doing that in Roaton.:rolleyes:

Redstorm that is what I would like to do is play with the monkeys. Do they let you play with them at the park or just look at them ?

So do ya'll think it would be too risky to take a taxi to the park ? They say it's cheaper to do that, than to book through the ship. I mean I want the better price, but I also want to make sure to get there safe.

Monkey update: I just finished my day with Victor Bodden. Took me exactly where I wanted to go, explained sites we passed en route, etc. Felt like we learned a bunch (and this is my 3rd time on the island!)

I asked Victor about the monkeys -- he said that his monkeys are pretty much for the Bodden Tours drivers only. Some cruise days, there are so many people wanting to hold and take photos with the monkeys...that he wants those on the tours that his company leads to have unlimited access to them. Allowing other taxi drivers to bring guests to his monkeys would take away from the time his customers have to spend with the monkeys!

They are cute, too!

p7050052_s.jpg

Matthew that monkey is soooo cute. If I do that tour, do you think I would be able to hold the monkey ? Is there anything else you can tell me about Roaton since this will be my first time going ? ALso, did you go to Progresso as well. We are going there as well and I have never been there either. Anything you can tell me I would appreciate. Thank you so much Janice

Archived