Homeric of Home Lines - Transatlantic Crossings

My first and only passage to Europe by ship was from Montreal to Le Havre on the Homeric in June 1963 with a return around mid August 1963. It was what students did in those days. The ship was filled with groups of students, some accompanied by their teachers, some by parents. Second class was the place to be. My roommate and I had an inside cabin. We couldn't imagine where everyone was the first two days, until we realized that everyone was living at night and sleeping through the noon meal! I won a dance contest with Prof. Victor Vari of Santa Clara University and our prize was a "French 75" cocktail. My roommate and a table mate and I also won a prize on costume night, disguising ourselves under an olive drab blanket decorated with flowers and creeping along the dance floor on our bellies breeting like frogs and crickets. The Homeric lives on in my heart! I am sorry that my own daughter cannot have that amazing experience of crossing the Atlantic in five days of fun, food and entertainment rather than 8 hours sardined in a plane.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Homerica,

Thank you for posting your wonderful story. Those transatlantic memories are precious. You are right...it is so sad that so many young people will never experience the great adventure of crossing the pond in five days on their first foray to Europe. Those memories are priceless and will stand out in my mind until the day I die.

CGT