Seasoned Cruiser, First time Disabled review 3/18

VTSAIL

I have been on Six Carnival Cruises prior to my recent Pride cruise but none since 2006 due to some serious illness.i am now wheelchair bound and do at least three Self Hemo Dialysis treatments a week.Needless to say, my wife and I were vary apprehensive about this trip but love to Cruise so we made our plans and sailed.

First off, I have seen some positive posts as well negative on Carnival Special Services. From my recent personal experience, they are excellent and easy to deal with. I got a very large HC cabin with plenty of room for my large motorized chair. There was a ramp over the threshold and a sloping ramp into a Bath that was large enough to turn my chair. Walk in shower with bench, grab bars, raised toilet and low counters. To top it all off, one of the biggest Balconies I have ever had. Fortunately, I could get to it with my walker, as it had a 4 inch base.i could not have picked a better cabin if I had a personal tour of the ship. Score one for Carnival SS!

They walked me through what I would have to with my medicine, equipment, and supplies. I would have to carry on the equipment and medicine but I could have the 12 cartons of supplies I would need delivered directly to the ship.Despite carrying on a small hospital, the only grief was from the screeners when they saw all the boxes, when we arrived at our cabin my supplies were already there! Another score for Carnival SS.

Embarkation was very organized at the Port of Baltimore but the terminal was not up to Carnival Standards. They had my name on the list for Special Services and we were first on board after the regular VIP passengers. SCORE.

First time on a Pirit Class ship, but not the last. Found the ship to be very HC friendly. I could get to anywhere I wanted to go. Only deck I could not access was the Sports Deck but I wasn't going to play any Golf or BB. We had a table for two in the MDR easily Accesibile in the front. Ate most of our meals there as the Lido is always loud and packed. We did get around to all the spots by the end of week but didn't do the China Wok. I like Chinese Food, but the selections and presentations were not appealing. Deli, Great, Burgers Great, and the Salad Bar excellent. Could not go to bed at night without a slice or Calzone. My wife made full use of the Ice Cream and her soda card. I managed to escape only gaining 6 pounds.

Other observations:

Despite its age, the most well maintained cleanest ship I've been on.

Crew was very friendly and personable. I don't think it was just because I was in a chair, because they did this with everybody. Made the whole ship. Happy place for a week. I hope this is the way on every Carnival ship now and not just this individual crew.

Carnival has definitely cut back on the menus. Noticed it more from the dessert side. Disappointed. The food quality of what they offered was very good. On the same level or better than what I remembered.

Ate at the Steakhouse - Amazing food, lousy atmosphere.

Debarkation, I did not want to leave, organized but slow. Not off ship till 11 AM. Didn't dock till 9,

Treatments obviously went well and I'm a Cruiser again. Planing another now, I've got time to make up!

Any specific questions let me know. Have fun out there!

Great review; thanks for taking the time. We were on Pride in '09, before my MS had progressed to my current 'scooterized' level. I am very glad to know that it is HC friendly.

What was your cabin number? It sounds perfect.

Marlee

Great review. It is somewhat reassuring to know since we will be on the Carnival Dream in June. We have sailed CCL three other times but this will be the first since I became disabled. I was diagnosed 5 years ago with muscular dystrophy and currently use a scooter on cruises and vacations.

Thanks again for posting the review.

So glad to see this follow up from your cruise. We apparently will be alternating 7260 because I'm in that cabin in Sept, your in there again in Oct and I'm there again in Jan. We were actually right next door last Jan. in 7258. I was just beginning to have balance and walking problems due to MS so it was 1st time I ordered a scooter to be delivered to our cabin from a rental company In Baltimore. It wasn't a HC or modified cabin - they were all booked. Somehow the scooter was delivered to the wrong room and couldn't be located so I had to borrow a wheelchair from Guest Services dept until one was delivered later when we docked in FL. Turned out it was delivered to 7260 because someone assumed 7258 was a misprint -scooter had to belong in handicap room next door. Apparently the guests in 7260 never told anyone they weren't suppose to get it and used it all week! I just wish 7260 had two lounge chairs. I have to elevate legs a lot due to fluid retention when cruising and my cruise friend has bad knees and likes to stretch her legs out too. I am so glad your trip went well. take care!

p.s. retired last year after many years at U of Delaware. My office partner and friend was from your area and was a avid Hokie fan. when I saw your VTSAIL I was puzzled at first. Wondered why someone in Virginia was using Vermont (VT) Sail as their name. Then I saw my friends big VT decal on her suv and relized it wasn't Vermont, it was Virginia Tech !! LOL

Go HOKIES! Nice to see another HOKIE on the board. There were four other HOKIES on our Cruise. Have to put together a HOKIE cruise some time!:cool:

Sounds good to us. We only live an hour or so from Salem and roughly 40 minutes from Tech.

! I just wish 7260 had two lounge chairs. I have to elevate legs a lot due to fluid retention when cruising and my cruise friend has bad knees and likes to stretch her legs out too.

Whenever your cabin is lacking something like this, just ask you cabin steward for it! It should be no problem to get another lounger, especially if the request is preceded with an appropriate incentive. Tips can be marvelous motivators.

Marlee

Archived