Colon tours

sej67

I'm doing Celebrity Infinity 2015 Atlantic to Pacific full transit. There is one day in Colon and then the next day we transit the Canal. Just glancing through the optional excursions for Colon, it appears that a lot of them see things that we will see the next day. How much of it is the same or similar as what can be seen from the ship going through the lake and the (2 sets?) of locks?

Just glancing through the optional excursions for Colon, it appears that a lot of them see things that we will see the next day. How much of it is the same or similar as what can be seen from the ship going through the lake and the (2 sets?) of locks?

Without carefully studying the tours that will be offered on your cruise, which of course is something you will want to do, in general you will have the best view of the Canal and all its workings from your ship as you make the complete transit. So your probably wouldn't be interested in a ferry boat Canal tour, if offered. The rest of the tours away from the Canal are going to show you stuff you will not otherwise see and give you an opportunity to actually experience some of Panama. You will catch some glimpses of work on the new lock channels, but if you really want to see the work in progress you'll take the tour. What is it that you want to see and what is it that you expect you will see from the ship during the transit?

Regards, Richard

I'm doing Celebrity Infinity 2015 Atlantic to Pacific full transit. There is one day in Colon and then the next day we transit the Canal. Just glancing through the optional excursions for Colon, it appears that a lot of them see things that we will see the next day. How much of it is the same or similar as what can be seen from the ship going through the lake and the (2 sets?) of locks?

The tour your are probably referencing here is the Panama Canal Tour CO26. The trip through the two Pacific Locks and Gaillard Cut would be transiting that same portion of the Canal on the "ferry" as you will the following day on your ship. There are a number of other tours such as the " Canal Expansion, Present and Future" that while doing a land side based visit to Gatun Locks, (which you will see on your transit) it will also take you to the Observation Center for the new locks which are under construction. You will not see the new locks construction on your transit except at a distance. There are a number of other tours such as the tour of Panama City to the Pacific side and the Grand Tour which takes you to the Embera Indians where you will visit areas which you won't see on your transit at all.

While the CO26 tour will be more of retracing some of the same steps, I think any tour that may include a stop at Gatun or Miraflores Locks would be beneficial. You certainly get the view of the operations from a completely different perspective. If you select a tour that doesn't take you to one of the present locks, that's fine because you will have a great seat to take it all in the next day!

• 2 weeks later...

We are doing the ships tour Gatlun lake and locks. You get more history and understanding of the the locks workings. Have read this is a good tour. We will not do local due to mosquitos and it is not a good port. Heard it is very bad in Colon, dirty and dangerous. That is in my opinion, from people we know who have been there.

We are doing the ships tour Gatlun lake and locks. You get more history and understanding of the the locks workings. Have read this is a good tour. We will not do local due to mosquitos and it is not a good port. Heard it is very bad in Colon, dirty and dangerous. That is in my opinion, from people we know who have been there.

The way to get the most out of your Canal day is to read up on the history and workings of the Canal in advance, books like, if I can be so bold, mine. Not sure what you mean exactly by "will not do local." You're right, Colon itself is not for tourists, so all the tours, ship tours or independent, leave Colon to go out and experience Panama. The more reading and research you do the easier it will be to make a good choice and maximize your time in Panama. If you're worried about mosquitoes take along some bug spray. There are fewer mosquitoes in Panama than there are in many places of North America in summertime. I have not only "been there," I live here.

Regards, Richard