A cruise "Top Chef"?

ancldaca

I've become a big fan of food TV programming lately and particularly enjoyed Top Chef on Bravo.

Wouldn't it be interesting if they did a cruise ship Top Chef/Apprentice? Say one of the majors underwrites the show and they bring in the contestants for a 10 day cruise. Each day one gets bumped off and the winner gets a work contract.

Since the contestants would be limited to food stocks on-board, it sort of levels the playing field and I bet there would be some creative use of ingredients in order for one chef to out-do the other(s).

With today's big ships having so much variety in food venues, the producers of the show could go from fine dining (spec. restaurants) to mass meals (main dining rooms) to room service to mass buffets. Plus, since it's a ship, breakfast would be covered as well!!!

I think it would also be interesting for the general viewer (plus us cruise addicts) to see more of the limitations these professionals go through when preparing our meals.

The cruise line that sponsors such a show would get a ton of free publicity plus - maybe - some awesome new recipes to boot.

Anybody else like this?

Actually, I think the best way would be for a cruise line to pitch the project to them via their advertising department.

In a way, putting up a show like that would also incurr huge expenses. Let's see, say 8-10 chefs which have to be pre-screened, etc, the judges, and the full production crew on board. I don't know anything about TV filming, but that total number of people would probably be in the 100 range with probably an even mix of single and double cabins.

I can see other problems too. For example, the filming could create inconveniences for the other passengers and might upset carefully pre-arranged galley work schedules (employees/space).

One way around this is for Bravo (or Food Network) to charter the whole ship and re-sell to fans as a theme week. Thus anybody on board would already know in advance that certain things might be different.

But can you imagine some of the potential results? Wow. Think of a team event where (say on Princess where there are two sides to the buffet) each team needs to put out their own spread - at the same time. You'd have 3000 judges on board. He he. Talk about pressure.

Quick fire eliminations could include things like ice/fruit carvings, afternoon tea food, repeat cruisers cocktail party (try not to p.o. the captain!!!).

Sure it would cost some, but the advertising potential is out of this world!

Unfortunately, nowadays it's extremely rare for a company to take non-employee submissions because of all the litigation issues.

But by posting this on these boards, maybe some employee will read this and submit this as an employee idea to their line's Marketing and F&B departments.

It would be sort of cool if an employee reads this thread to maybe acknowledge this and with what cruise line he/she is with... But that is hoping for a bit too much I think.

To be honest, this idea works best with the mass lines just because of space requirements alone, but I can also see this as something that could be done on an Oceania or Azamara...

• 1 month later...

I also think it's a great idea. Matter of fact, I would probably submit my credentials - if they would be looking for volunteers to be contestants. Twenty years as a chef in N.O. might just get me on the show....y'think? Hey, I'd take a cruise anytime for whatever reason.;)

• 4 weeks later...

the chefs wopuld go crazy not being able to leave the ship at ports!! then you could tell them they are going to port on one day, but instead when they get off the ship they find they have to cook traditional island food from wherever they are for the islanders!!! that would be great.

Archived