Cavetubing Camera??

NHgirl2012

Hi All! My husband and I are going cavetubing in Belize in 2 weeks. Anyone have any recommendations on what to do regarding taking pictures? Thinking a disposable water camera might not be worth it. Was thinking of a waterproof case for my cell phone. Any ideas? Also, how do you carry it while going down in the tube? Can you bring a bag? Thanks!

People don't usually carry bags. They ask you to leave that stuff in the vehicle you came in.

A waterproof case for your phone might work. I don't know the quality of pictures you might get if the case covers the lens. Get one that has a strap you can wear around your neck.

Disposable waterproof cameras aren't all that expense, and there are some decent regular waterproof cameras out there under $150. A separate camera might be your best bet. You'll just have to wait until you can upload the card to a computer or your Dropbox account.

My DH bought a Panasonic waterproof camera for about $150. It took decent pictures in the cave. I don't think a disposable one wouldn't work very well because it's so dark. You would need to make sure you have a strap on the camera and strap it on your wrist. Your bags will be in a locker. We had a choice at the end to stay on our tube or swim. The water is deep there. Almost everyone chooses to swim, so a bag would be cumbersome.

• 2 weeks later...

We went cave tubing in Belize in 2012 and I carried my regular camera (Canon Elph) in a plastic ziplock bag. I planned to take it out when I wanted to take pics...but no problem at all keeping it out the whole time really. The only time I was in water up to my chest was when we were coming in at the end of the tour...and my camera was fine in the bag; never went under water with it. I could have kept floating in the tube to the end, but wanted to get in the water :D

• 3 weeks later...