Costa neoRiviera - Sep 2015 itinerary change

Gedo

I booked a cruise on the neoRiviera on Sep 21 2015 several months ago but had an email from Costa yesterday advising that the itinerary had changed. Having checked this against the original itinerary, 9 of the 11 days have changed, including dropping Corsica and Sardinia for 2 full days in Barcelona (lovely place but been there several times before). I contacted Costa's 'customer service' people by phone to query this and understand our options. As I tried explaining things to the rep she interrupted and told me to hurry up and get to the point!!! When I did get to the point she was totally clueless and simply suggested I reply to the email. I did that and got a 2 line response stating that the itinerary had changed for 'commercial reasons' and there would be no refund of deposits for anyone wishing to cancel as a result. There wasn't a hint of an apology for any inconvenience etc. I sent a further email asking to take this up with a supervisor but have not had a response.

I've read the full booking terms and it does appear that Costa are within their rights to do this, but the level of customer service in both the original communication and my follow up has been appalling. I'm resigned to the fact that we either go ahead with the new itinerary or lose our deposit as Costa themselves are unable to suggest anything else. I'm just wondering whether anyone on the forum has had a similar experience either with the cruise in question or with Costa generally, and whether there is any other alternative to simply accepting the situation? Obviously I will be exercising a future option of never using Costa again after 4 previous cruises with them.

Thanks.

We came back from the neoRiviera 11-days sailing THIS Sept. (read my review at CC). Our online TA couldn't book our Genoa rail station-to-Savona pier bus transfer because Costa USA says we weren't its Genoa hotel guests. We managed to track down/contact the same transfer company ourselves to book ours. Is thinking of its neoClassica Sept.13, 2015 sailing so will monitor your outcome on this issue.

Thanks for the feedback Member. If you are booking for Sep 2015 I would strongly recommend contacting Costa to confirm the itinerary is as stated. A week after notifying us of the major itinerary change for the Sep 21 sailing they are still selling packages online based on the original itinerary. I have to assume this is down to incompetence rather than deception.

I have had no response from Costa since I asked them to escalate my concerns to a supervisor / manager so still don't know what my options are for our cruise. What is clear is that my longer term option will be to avoid Costa in the future!

As I tried explaining things to the rep she interrupted and told me to hurry up and get to the point!!!

So what was your point?

Did you just want to express your displeasure about the schedule change?

Did you want your money back?

Did you want a discount?

Did you want to be upgraded to a suite?

1. Express my displeasure. Done.

2. Understand if I had an option to cancel and get a full refund. Told I can cancel but no refund.

3. Allow them to offer me any alternative suggestions. They couldn't hence my (as yet) unanswered request to escalate to someone who can.

It's the 3rd area where I expect Costa to recognise that their itinerary change is significant and show some flexibility in coming up with suggestions.

So what would make you happy? If you don't tell them how are they supposed to know.

That's what I intend to discuss when a manager finally gets back to me. I have my own thoughts on what would make me happy but I'd also like to hear what they can suggest (I'm assuming they have been in this situation many times whereas this is a first for me). I have had an update from Costa today that a manager is dealing with this and they will be back in touch.

Gedo, if you'd like our Propriano & Olbia town experiences last September, let me know.

Thanks for the kind offer Member. As both these ports have been dropped for next Sept and replaced with 2 days in Barcelona, I suspect that may only increase my disappointment - unless you're going to tell me that they weren't that great and Barcelona would be much better ;)

We went out to those small towns in weekdays after noon & returned around 5:00pm.

Both towns offer one or two short main streets for local shopping/dining. Very few tourist sights around.

In Barcelona, we took the downtown direct train/cable car up to Montserrat for a full day trip. Wonderful scene there.

We went out to those small towns in weekdays after noon & returned around 5:00pm.

Both towns offer one or two short main streets for local shopping/dining. Very few tourist sights around.

In Barcelona, we took the downtown direct train/cable car up to Montserrat for a full day trip. Wonderful scene there.

Thanks Member - that info has cheered me up! We'd picked the cruise specifically for my mother in law's 70th birthday present. I think I can use your feedback to give her a positive spin on the changes. :)

I'm still totally underwhelmed by Costa's customer service but that's another matter.