Portland Antiques & walking

Atlantis Aura

We will be in Portland in June and we are interested in walking to Portland Architectural Salvage & Antiques at 131 Preble St. The map shows this is about one mile from downtown in the West Bayside area of Portland.

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to walk from the ship thru the downtown areas up to the salvage yard? Are sidewalks provided the whole way? Any certain route recommended where we may pass historical houses or recommended sights?

Has anyone done any antiquing or have any recommendations for other

antique stores within a walkable area of the wharf?

Thank you so much for your help ~

We will be in Portland in June and we are interested in walking to Portland Architectural Salvage & Antiques at 131 Preble St. The map shows this is about one mile from downtown in the West Bayside area of Portland.

Can anyone tell me if it is safe to walk from the ship thru the downtown areas up to the salvage yard? Are sidewalks provided the whole way? Any certain route recommended where we may pass historical houses or recommended sights?

Has anyone done any antiquing or have any recommendations for other

antique stores within a walkable area of the wharf?

Thank you so much for your help ~

I haven't been to Portland Architectural Salvage in years, but I remember it being more for doors, floors, mantels, etc, than regular antiques. It may have changed.

Portland is on a peninsula which has a ridge down the middle. So getting from the waterfront to the "Bayside" area around Preble St. will require some uphill and downhill walking. We also tend to use brick sidewalks and cobblestones that suffer from snowplows and frost heaves, so sprained ankles are common among tourists.

From the dock, turn left on Commercial St, then right on Exchange, which leads to a lot of the stores in the Old Port and a couple of pocket parks. One of the buildings on Exchange (around 100 Exchange or so, I can't remember, there is a building with a British cannonball embedded in the second story wall. Follow Exchange up to Congress, turn left, and you'll see the Henry Wadsworth-Longfellow house which is a museum. Walk down Congress St to Preble, and then downhill to Portland Salvage. That area is not the prettiest in Portland, but nowhere is it unsafe in this small city.

Many of the downtown buildings are historic, its a nice area, from Congress down to the waterfront, to walk around in. And there are plenty of great restaurants in the area, Portland is definitely a foodie destination.

chengkp75, thank you so much for your helpful information....and your street directions...I will copy it down and keep it with us... we love wading around in history items...so even checking out the doors and knobs will be interesting :) and I've wanted to see the Longfellow house..so perfect that we will be passing it too....glad to hear the streets are safe.... we enjoy walking whenever we can...but good warning on the cobblestone..if it begins to look to precarious...we can always hop a taxi for a ways then try again .... I appreciate your help ~~ :)

Edited by Atlantis Aura

chengkp75, thank you so much for your helpful information....and your street directions...I will copy it down and keep it with us... we love wading around in history items...so even checking out the doors and knobs will be interesting :) and I've wanted to see the Longfellow house..so perfect that we will be passing it too....glad to hear the streets are safe.... we enjoy walking whenever we can...but good warning on the cobblestone..if it begins to look to precarious...we can always hop a taxi for a ways then try again .... I appreciate your help ~~ :)

No problem. I love our city by the sea. There are more antique shops down on the waterfront, and in the "Old Port" area (generally between the dock and Center St, and from the waterfront to Congress). I'm not into antiques, but am into old houses (ours is from 1820), so I can't vouch for the quality of any of the shops.

Not sure what you're into in food, but my personal recommendations are, that will be close to your path;

Bull Feeney's: Irish fare mixed with New England seafood, including a fantastic deep fried lobster.

Grill Room: probably the best steaks in town

Nosh: burgers and such, emphasis on pork, as their bacon dusted French fries are to die for.

Becky's Diner: Good food, good prices, on the water, best lobster roll in town.

Have fun.

All of the food recommendations sound delightful ~ but I am intrigued by Bull Feeney's....deep fried lobster? Never had it - but it sure sounds good! (I also

love old houses-I am a volunteer docent for our local historic mansion) Thank you :)

All of the food recommendations sound delightful ~ but I am intrigued by Bull Feeney's....deep fried lobster? Never had it - but it sure sounds good! (I also

love old houses-I am a volunteer docent for our local historic mansion) Thank you :)

I was skeptical as well, until I tried it, and the Guinness batter is such an accompaniment to the lobster, and not overcooked.